Can some one help us

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by christine rowland, Oct 31, 2009.

1. christine rowland

christine rowland Member

we have just moved here and there are two large grape vines ( they look more like trees to me they are so big) We had grapes but they all went rotten before they where ripe. Now we will need to prune them. HELP we have never seen a vine before let alone know how to look after one. We think the vines are about 40 or more years old. they grow on iron polls and wires about 7ft high. They are green and purple grapes. And we have been told where wonderful. But we know they have been very neglected over the last 5 years may be more. I hope I have made this understandble sorry for any spelling misstakes. Christine

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Christine:
    I strongly suggest you seek local help, and first from your close neighbors. Start with questions about the type of grape ("what is it?") and find someone you are comfortable with before (or if) you ask about pruning. You are well south of most of the wine regions of Europe but even so you are probably OK till at least New Years for pruning. You can be very aggressive and still have the vine survive but you have to leave some of this year's canes and buds to get fruit next year. How much to leave is where the local knowledge is useful.

Most of the pruning advice on the net is about vineyard training so your vine may not look much like the diagrams, but see Fig #3:
    http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=G6090

Ralph

3. christine rowland

christine rowland Member

Hi Thank you very much advice we will do just that Regards christine

4. Czvp

Czvp Active Member