Identification: Can I eat this mushrooms? Growing my back yard and smell mushroomy...

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by jiminyvr, Oct 26, 2007.

  1. jiminyvr

    jiminyvr Member

    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    GVRD
    Local Time:
    7:29 AM
    Can I eat this mushrooms? Growing my back yard and smell mushroomy...

    Thanks

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Illecippo

    Illecippo Active Member

    Messages:
    164
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Genoa (Italy)
    Local Time:
    4:29 PM
    they're some agaricus sp.

    don't eat the mushroom because may be poisonus.

    do you remember the stem? be yellow?
     
  3. jiminyvr

    jiminyvr Member

    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    GVRD
    Local Time:
    7:29 AM
    the stem is white
     
  4. Eric La Fountaine

    Eric La Fountaine Rising Contributor UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years of Activity

    Messages:
    3,007
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Vancouver
    Local Time:
    7:29 AM
    Many mushrooms are very poisonous. Never eat a wild mushroom that you (or someone very experienced in mushroom ID) has not positively identified as an edible variety. Many people have been poisoned by mushrooms. It is very easy to confuse some of the edible varieties with poisonous ones. That said is it is a wonderful quest to find mushrooms and a good thing to do, if you take the time to educate yourself and consult experts.

    This is true for plants as well, but it is usually easier to key out and identify plants.
     
  5. Harri Harmaja

    Harri Harmaja Active Member 10 Years of Activity

    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Finland
    Local Time:
    7:29 AM
  6. Eric La Fountaine

    Eric La Fountaine Rising Contributor UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years of Activity

    Messages:
    3,007
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Vancouver
    Local Time:
    7:29 AM
    I really meant type or some other non-botanical term, because I don't know enough about fungi to know if there are species that may have edible and toxic members. I suppose that is an unlikely possibility, but I have heard of Solanum spp. where toxicity varies enough that some subspecies/varieties are edible and others quite poisonous.
     

Share This Page