Calochortus macrocarpus

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by kia796, Jul 1, 2007.

1. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Green-banded Mariposa Lily, Okanagan valley, July 1/07

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Like a greenhouse flower cut and stuck in the ground.

3. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Such a delicate flower, it definitely looks out of place.

To quote from C.P.Lyons' "Trees Shrubs and Flowers to know in British Columbia":
    The simplicity of this beautiful flower imparts an air of rarity that is further enhanced by its random appearance in drab range land. The stout stem carries one or more pale purple or lavender blooms often 2" across. The three large petals are marked on the inside with dark blotches near their base and a green band down their centre. One thin leaf grows from the base of the stem. The mariposa lily is seldom found in any quantity and often escapes notice because of its delicate shading. It will be found in bloom during late May and into June. Range: lower slopes of the Dry Interior Zone, Penticton to Kamloops, Clinton, Phoenix".

It's hard to believe this beauty grows where 4-foot tall Diffuse and Spotted Knapweed have taken over from bunchgrasses. Definitely a gem.

4. Chris Green

Chris Green Member

These will be blooming around Savona, B.C., in the next week or so. There are a lot of them if you know where to look.
    I usually see them on or near July 10th, give or take a few days. They shoot up rapidly, perhaps in a few days, flower for a short time, then die back almost as rapidly unless they form a seed pod.

I have come across a few white ones, which have been noted in one reference book.

When I still had a 35mm camera, I found these difficult to photograph because they seem to be quite sensitive to breezes, consequently I only have a few slightly blurry images. I don't have photos of the white ones.

5. kia796

kia796 Active Member

With their pale colours and thin indistinctive leaves, it's easy to miss them while walking. Especially while squinting against a bright sun.

A white one would be stunning.

6. wildcattt

wildcattt Member

They are almost done here in Lillooet.... This heat is killin them fast..

7. wildcattt

wildcattt Member

Forgot to add my pic....

Attached Files: