Cactus or Succulent?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by CormacG, May 13, 2011.

1. CormacG

CormacG Member

Hi,

I have received cuttings of a succulent or cactus and I would like to plant it however I would like to know what it is first. It has a woody purple stem with broad scalloped leaves with purple veins. The donor plant has small tube like flowers with an orange colour. The plant is currently growing in central Mexico in a mountainous region. I live in central Mexico.

Attached Files:

2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Not easy, but I have some thoughts and questions. Did you mean that it is native to Mexico, i.e. it is not something put there by someone who thought it was a nice addition to his/her garden?
    It looks like a cactus, an Epiphyllum or Disocactus. Most of them have white or pink, medium to large flowers (about 7-15 cm), the only species with smaller, orange flowers I remember right now is Disocactus macranthus.
    Is the whole flower tube-like, i.e. does it not open widely, or does it just have a long floral tube that makes the whole flower look like a funnel?
    Lepismium monacanthum has small, orange flowers too but they can hardly be called tube-like, and it is not native to Mexico.

3. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

Perhaps it is a Bryophyllum... Not sure...