Cactus needs help

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by darius, Jan 22, 2010.

1. darius

darius Member

I have my cacti for a while now and just recently discovered some discoloration and something that seems as a sign of rotting. The first two pictures. The top of the cacti, around 15-20 inches, is still pretty healthy. Should I cut it off and replanted? Or is there something that would revive this cacti? I also would like to find out how can I strengthen my other cactuses. Thanks for your help...

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

is the base soft?? if not, it might just be a fungal infection which you could treat with something systemic. if the base is soft, then it's rot and i would cut off the top portion that's still in good shape.

let it sit and dry/callous over for a month or so and then pot it up. allow it to sit in DRY soil for another month and then start very slight watering every few weeks - after 6 weeks from starting water, give a gentle push or tug to it to see if it's loose or not - if it stays firm, it's got roots and you can get it on a regular watering schedule...if it moves easily, it's not rooted yet and you'll need to continue with the light waterings every 3 weeks or so until it does have roots going.

3. Lilithv

Lilithv Member

Hi. I should you cut off... let drying the scar.. If it`s possible put sulphur to desinfect the scar..
    When the scar is cured.. then, replanted it..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010