butterfly bush

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by RandomTabby, Jul 29, 2011.

1. RandomTabby

RandomTabby Member

At the start of spring I accidentally bought a butterfly bush (Buddleia x 'blue chip') when I was looking for butterfly weed (asclepias tuberosa). Now I find out Butterfly bush is not native and is invasive on the west coast? Would deadheading prevent the plant from going to seed? Or should I just trash the thing? Any suggestions for a replacement? I'm looking for something tall (5' -10') and preferably native, which doesn't mind shade and moisture. Hummers or butters would be a bonus.
    Thanks!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lonicera involucrata

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Tabby,
    Another suggestion is LEYCESTERIA formosa, Caprifoliaceae, common name Himilayan Honysuckle. It will get as big as you want and doesn't mind pruning. It's deciduous and produces lovely clusters of tiny white flowers, berries from from green thru deep red and finally almost black all at the same times. It's not real common. I had a lady drive by one day looking for burgundy flowers for her daughters wedding. My plant was pretty big and in full display. By the time we got thru cutting I didn't have to prune it that year. She came back later and thanked me because they had received so many comments on the lovely flower arraignments with the honey suckle trailing from their arraignments. It will self seed but not heavily and you can easily remove or give away new plants Have fun....barb

4. Ron B

That's not a west coast native either. By the way, neither is Asclepias tuberosa.

If you wanted more conspicuous spikes, more in the style of the butterfly bush than the honeysuckle I suggested maybe try Spiraea douglasii. Both bloom for a long time in summer.

5. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

The previous owner of my home planted a butterfly bush. It survived plenty of hot sun and neglect in its location, but died this year when I pruned it back heavily. Butterflies and hummingbirds were attracted to it. I've read that it is invasive, but have seen no evidence of that around my place (no seedlings growing anywhere in the local area).

It's not a very pretty shrub when not flowering though, and I was going to remove it when I got around to replanting that area of my yard.

6. RandomTabby

RandomTabby Member

I actually love the leaves of butterfly bush. I also like that if a leaf falls off, it seems to grow several more immediately. Needless to say it looks amazing. I think I'll keep it until either I find a replacement or spring rolls around. Not like it's going to flower before then anyway. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them.

7. Ron B

Buddleja davidii does not sprout from fallen leaves. It does, however, produces tens of thousands of seeds which sprout in suitable open locations with exposed soils - such as the banks of local rivers, where it excludes native vegetation.

8. RandomTabby

RandomTabby Member

I meant that the plant grows new leaves as soon as one falls off, not that the fallen leaves are growing into new plants.

I do like the idea of a garden containing only west coast plants, but I do welcome any plant that is at least native to this continent.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011
  9. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Active Member

It's a type of milkweed, though, which is required by monarch butterflies. I have one and plan to get another.

10. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

You are confusing a Butterfly Bush (Buddleia) with a Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa).

11. RandomTabby

RandomTabby Member

Ah common names, what a pain. I run into this all the time when selling aquarium fish. Can't we all just learn Latin?