Burnt edges on new roses

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by RoseLady, Apr 16, 2008.

1. RoseLady

RoseLady Active Member

I live in Tucson, Az. My roses are looking great right now except some of them (not all) are sprouting blooms that have a burnt edge appearance. They seem to stay tight in the rolled up bud and don't really open up well. It looks as if the edges have been seered with something. Any ideas?? They don't seem to have bugs on them and the leaves are green and healthy looking. Also they have many, many buds. Some of my roses don't have this and some do. I would appreciate any ideas on this.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

could you post a pic?

could be sun damage or even frost damage.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

That's the definition of sun damage down here. Make them some little shade houses, and that should help prevent further toastiness.

4. joclyn

thanks, lorax!!

5. lorax

Hey, I grow HT roses down here, and that's the ONLY way to keep them looking nice. The big commercial rose growers cover whole valleys with shade cloth!

RoseLady, there are a few varieties that are more sun-resistant than others; this explains the variation in toasted and non-toasted buds and blooms. Foliage rarely gets sunburned.

6. RoseLady

RoseLady Active Member

Thanks lorax and joclyn. I went to a nursery and found out what my problem is. Some of my roses have Thripes. They are not on all of my roses....only the lighgter colored ones....like mauves, light pinks, and soft yellows. The darker roses they seem to not gravitate to. I got some Ortho and the little pests will soon be gone. My roses will be looking beautiful in no time. Apparently it is common. It is not the weather. Our weather right now is perfect. The plants themselves are thriving. It is only the buds that look bad because of these bugs. I am thrilled to find the problem and the solution. Thanks for your help!! It is appreciated. Check out the information on this little pest on the below web site. It also addresses the aphid. They are two different insects. The nursery recommended NOT using Bayer as it also kills an micro-organsms in the soil that are need to for the plant to thrive. The Ortho "Insectr disease "spray is applied directly to the UNOPENED bud and kills the bugs. Once they have opened they are already damamged and no point in spraying as they already appear "singed". great to know!

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/crops/az1101/az1101_2.html

7. lorax

Oh yuck. I had thrip problems on my grapes; I've never had them on roses.

8. joclyn

i hadn't really thought about bugs being the issue...i based my guess (and it was a guess) on your location and the description...

i've never had thrips either...just aphids. they show up EVERY year on the roses...and come back at least once after treatment, so i end up treating at least twice during the spring.

can you post a pic of what the damaged buds look like? it would be helpful to someone else who has the same conditions and is looking for help!

9. RoseLady

RoseLady Active Member

Here is the result of my Ortho treatment on my rose with thrips. I took 3 pics...before....3 days later...and a week later. You can see the transformation in the rose blooms. I also have attached a red rose that "lives" next to the mauve. It was never touched by the bugs aas you can see it looks great! just a can of ortho insect spray....spray 12 to 18 inches away from the unopened buds and spray sparingly....a little goes a long way. Result.....NO BUGS!!! Beautiful roses!!!!

Attached Files: