Brugmansia Flowering

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by edleigh7, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Thomas Anonymous

Thomas Anonymous Active Member

Wow - nice colors! Mine are just white.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

My collection is pitiful next to what the Botanical Gardens here grows; they have every possible shade from white to bloody red with stripes. I'll rummage my photo collection and see what I can turn up; I'm particularly fond of the variegated flower colours that they've produced by selective hybridization...

3. Thomas Anonymous

Thomas Anonymous Active Member

Yeah, do that. I'd be interested to see what different colors they come in.

By the way Lorax, as a winter project I bought some oyster-mushroom spores and a pressure cooker to sterilize substrate and am going to give mushroom cultivation a try. I love growing things but when you're this far from the equator you run out of light near the winter solstice. Mushrooms are good for a winter growing project because not only do they grow quickly but they don't need light for photosynthesis. Wish me luck!

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I can see why that one is your fave Beth. Beautiful array of colours

Ed

5. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

I've sadly neglected my B. sanguinea this summer but in spite of that it has continued to keep blooming. It's a bit short of leaves and those are really tiny, but as you can see from tonight's photo, it still performs.

I will be moving it into my unheated greenhouse for the winter probably by the end of November, earlier if it looks like frost. Then I'll give it a heavy pruning and repot it with some compost. It seems that it actually does better without too much sun and with the cooler temperatures of our fall/winter/spring. Diane

Attached Files:

6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I've never given it the chance to. A bit of early morning sun and that's it.

Cheers, Barrie (LPN)