Identification: Brown Topped Bolete

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Phishfinder, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Phishfinder

Phishfinder Member

Found next to a dead hardwood in a mixed hardwood/conifer fores, near a streambed dominated by cedar. Brownish top with white pore mouths (yellow pores in cross-section) white flesh not staining. Stem had the "net-like"pattern near the top of the stem. I apologize for the quality of the photos.... I blame the I-Phone. :)

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It looks like a porcini, Boletus edulis, or one of the close relatives that occur in eastern North America. If it doesn't taste bitter, it should be good to eat.

3. Phishfinder

Phishfinder Member

MUwhahahahaha!!

I thought so too.... my first edulis!! Picture a guy about 6'0 ft tall that looks like Jesus doing the happy dance at 6:30am Saturday morning.

THanks Vitog. :)

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

That specimen appears to be just right for eating. White tube mouths indicate a young one, and it does not appear to be wormy. Once the tube mouths turn yellow, they are only fit for drying (if they haven't been riddled with worm holes).

5. Phishfinder

Phishfinder Member

Thanks for those tips. Ate half last night..... I'm never peeling back the cuticle of a suillus again. :)