Brown rot and Black knot problems

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Fruit, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Fruit

Fruit New Member

Hi,
    I have a cherry tree that has brown rot every year. This year is especially severe and I have a lot of fruit mummies. I will try to remove them but what fungicides are good to prevent brown rot? Also, I have a plum tree that has black knot disease. I recently removed a large branch that was covered by it but there is another branch beside it that also has early black knot on it. What should I do about it , remove it now or wait until winter? And are there fungicides out there that prevents black knot from spreading to other branches/trees?

2. blueberry

blueberry Member

Remove any signs of black knot ASAP. The fungus spreads fast and wood could be infected without showing signs of it.
    The sacrifice now is the only way to try and control it from spreading to other branches. I would love to know a way to totally prevent it. I've tried fungicides while dormant and it hasn't prevented recurrence on my plum trees.

What I have started doing is pruning parts of the tree in summer during longer dry spells. I read a few places that during the Vancouver winters because it's so wet (fungus spreads well when raining) winter pruning is not always practical or recommended.