Identification: Brown Pleurotus ostreatus?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by 4ager, Jun 7, 2018.

1. 4ager

4ager Active Member

Habitat: Wood - Found in deciduous woods, growing on sides of a fallen tree as well on the side of a standing tree.

Gills: brown/beige/yellow gills

Stem: varies from a few millimeters to a centimeter, thin.

Cap: brown/beige fan shaped
    Size: ranges from 2-5 inches

Bruising: none

Spore print: beige

General location: Pacific Northwest

In Sample2, there is a side-by-side and one could possibly be an Angel Wing? Found gills didn't look like the others. These samples were pretty dry but I re-hydrated them when I got home. Perhaps that's why I wasn't able to get a full spore print.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Angel wings Pleurocybella (name changed I think recently) porrigens come from conifer in the fall,although we do get fall things fruiting in summer sometimes. However your log looks like deciduous, likely conifer, so very unlikely. From the in-situ distance shot, they do look like old dried out oysters Pleurotus spp., although better to ID in fresh condition. I often find it hard to interpret the rehydrated old ones, partly as the colour as it appears in the photo starts leading one down other ID paths.

3. 4ager

4ager Active Member

I left them sitting on the paper towel overnight after taking the photos and when I went to remove the mushrooms, I found prints that looked like abstract art. Does this help? Some were purplish colour and some were beige-ish colour.
    Some of the mushrooms also had some white stuff spotting on them. is it mold or mycelium?

Attached Files:

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Based on the old dried condition, my guess on the white spots would be mold. The stains left on the towel are more likely stains from the breakdown of the deteriorating mushrooms, rather than spore colour, but again just a guess based on what I know of your specimens thus far. There are some mushrooms with beige/brn spore prints that resemble Pleurotus somewhat, but it still seems more likely that yours are old Pleurotus.

5. 4ager

4ager Active Member

thanks Frog.

Frog likes this.