bromiliad propagation

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by stashpuppy, Oct 26, 2004.

1. stashpuppy

stashpuppy Member

I have a Bromiliad named Auggie.Turns out Auggie is having babies.Two to be exact.I've called everywhere and no one seems to know how to separate them and re-pot them so they all survive the delivery.Both babies are at least half the size of Auggie,and it's time for surgery.Some body help me figure out what to do.Please!I'm the kind of person that would take my gold fish to the Vet.So I would be terribly upset if something went wrong.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I seperated bromeliads before but it has been a few years...I washed the soil off the roots (not too many so be careful) in tepid water, try placing the roots without the pot in an ice cream pail half or more full of tepid water and gently work them until they are free of soil. Then with a good sharp knife, remove the babies from where they originate on the mother plant and dont forget to get some roots if possible. place momma and two babies into decent potting mix and press it gently to firm it up so they stay upright. fill their cup with water and all should go ok. OR, let the babies grow, mother will usually die out, then remove babies from mother plant when it is spent.

3. stashpuppy

stashpuppy Member

Auggie's delivery

Thanks for the info.Sounds a little scary, but I definately want to try to save Auggie.So I'm going to try the first thing you suggested.Wish me and them luck!Hey;By the way.How long do these Bromiliads usually live?If you would like to respond, please email me at stashpuppy@hotmail.com.Thanks again,Stashpuppy.

4. shop99er

shop99er Member

I have two of the sword type bromiliads that have shot off 3 or 4 babies each. The mother plant is still healthy and fine. I assumed that the mother would start to die when it was time to 'wean' the babies. So now I'm plain scared to cut the babies off and repot them. How? When? Will they bloom this year? Is the mother done for?

HELP!

5. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    When the babies are about 1/3 the size of the mother, it's safe to divide. The mother plant goes through a life cycle: bloom (only once), produce offspring, and die. The good news is there the mother can produce lots of babies and after they've grown up (not sure exact time, maybe a year or more?) you have a lot more plants than before!

6. http://bsi.org/ this is a link to the bromeliad society international. a good source for info on your bromeliad unfortunately your bromeliad started dying when it started to flower it may last for a year or so until it nutrients are used up on its pups.the fortunate thing is now you will have two bromeliads and keep an eye out for more pups. when they get half the size or so of the mother gently separate them from the mother cutting close to the mother plant and keeping the roots. then plant in a moss mixture not soil look for an orchid mix at your garden center. when they grow up they will bloom and produce more pups.