British Columbia Flora

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Daniel Mosquin, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Renowned Contributor UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

JadeC likes this.
  2. Ron B

Ron B Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looked at record for Pacific wax myrtle. So it's not native up there, but rather naturalized? I had assumed it was merely disjunct.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Renowned Contributor UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I suppose you could call it a glitch. The BC Flora site (as it says on every data page) is a snapshot of data from 1976. Brayshaw collected his specimens in 1976 (see here (you'll need to scroll down), so the assertion that it is native would not yet be covered in the BC Flora data until we sync to modern data (and make comparisons available).

4. cqstrd

cqstrd Member

i realize this is an old post, but i can't find any follow up for it....is this project still underway, or is it possible that it morphed into, or was incorporated into what is now e-flora bc?

5. Daniel Mosquin

Haven't really had any time to work on it -- it was put to the side when the John Davidson project came up, and now the garden is pursuing a bit different emphasis so I suppose it isn't a priority for me at the moment. Any particular questions about it?

6. cqstrd

cqstrd Member

thanks for the reply, Daniel

nope, no particular questions, just curious...i administer a vancouver island wildflower group on a photo sharing site and it's just nice to know what references are available when a tricky ID comes along

7. Ian

Ian Active Member

Considering the Pacific Northwest was warmer and drier (especially in summer) 8,000 to 6,000 years ago than today, it's entirely plausible that Myrica californica once occurred much farther north on the Pacific Coast than it does now, and the Vancouver Island population is relictual.

Here's a journal article that seems to indicate Myrica pollen was found in a pollen core in a lake near Skagway, Alaska, dating to about 3,500 years ago.
    http://labs.eeb.utoronto.ca/mcandrews/PDFs/LatequaternaryLilyLake_1990.pdf

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  8. Ron B

Ron B Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I searched the article linked to for Myrica and got 0 results returned.

9. Ian

Ian Active Member

It's only in the graphic - it was not discussed.

Anyways, it just occurred to me that the graphic could just as well be referring to Myrica gale. That would make more sense as the timing is incorrect for the warm period allowing M. californica to advance northward. If that's the case then obviously it's a far less surprising discovery.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009