Breeding plants for cold hardiness (exotics)

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Kada, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

I live in Taiwan and am moving back to Canada in 2 years. I collect a lto of plants from around here (its an obsession) and when i move back i really want to bring back some of the maples and trees from the high mountains here. After reading the book "Plants from the edge of the world" (about collecting platns from cold places and bring back to Kew for nursery productions and such) i have been inspired moreso.

There are some plants that seem to be *just* not cold hardy enough to cope without weather in SW BC (I will be on Vancouver island, not far from Nanaimo), so i am wondering about breeding a few generations (in a cold house - unheated greenhouse) to try and get cold hardy specimens for outdoor use.

Has anyone played with this area much? Know of any really good, must have books/websites on the subject?

2. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Are you sure about the cold-hardiness of the plants you want to grow? I can't think of many maples that wouldn't be able to grow here. Otherwise, there are many borderline plants that can be grown in pots and brought to an unheated greenhouse for the winter, and some of the smaller ones would survive in a coldframe. There are plenty of exotic plants as well that aren't necessarily tropical or subtropical, but have very dramatic foliage. Finally, there's the PNW Palm Society who would be able to advise you on the best way to grow exotics; http://www.hardypalm.com. Hope that helps!