Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by cchardonnens, Sep 16, 2008.
Is this a boletus?
In the bolete family. Not the prized Boletus edulis. From the shiny cap, it might be one of the many 'Slippery Jacks' so common in our area.
Thank you !!! this Boletus is edible ?
Possibly edible as the only poisonous members of this family stain red when bruised or broken. But not necessarily good.
I've never seen a boletus which stained red, but according to several of my books there are two important characteristics to look for in determining the edibility of unknown boletus species. You should avoid any which have red pore mouths, and any which very rapidly stain blue. Many boletus with flesh which slowly stains blue or lilac after bruising or exposure to air are good to eat.
As with any mushroom it is safer to know exactly what species your mushroom is but sometimes the Slippery Jack group are quite confusing. By avoiding the above characteristics (which work for Boletus only, not gilled mushrooms!!) you can safely try a new Boletus to see if you find it good to eat. Edible does not necessarily mean tasty and not everyone agrees on which mushrooms are worth eating.
Separate names with a comma.