Blue Poppies

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by MaijaW, Apr 8, 2015.

1. MaijaW

MaijaW New Member

Hi,

I have a trip planned in June to visit Vancouver and the UBC garden the first week of June. My boyfriend's favorite flower is a blue poppy and he's never see one, so one of the really important items on our to-do list is to see the blue poppies in the garden. I have noticed that the growing season this year is about 6-8 weeks ahead here in Oregon--the dogwoods and other flowering trees have already bloomed here.

Does anyone know if the blue poppies have already bloomed or whether I may have a chance to see them when I visit?

Thanks!

Maija

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

They were flowering well on June 9, 2012.

Leaves had emerged from the ground quite early here this year, but I've noticed in the past that while spring flowering times (and leafing out) can have a lot of variation, the further the year progresses the more the variation decreases (so, what might be a 6 week window of bloom time in March-April will narrow to a 3 week window by summer for summer-flowering species). In short, you should be fine to see something.

VanDusen also has a good display.

I was just in Portland this past weekend, and my impression was that flowering time was only 3-4 weeks advanced compared to last year (was last year early as well, though?). Balsamroots on Dalles Mtn Rd were just slightly earlier in flower development on April 4 this year as compared to April 23 in 2014.