Blossom of the Night

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by SvenLittkowski, May 24, 2010.

1. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Active Member

This is the blossom of a small bush (Lantana camara, thanks Michael), which grows all over here in Jamaica - and in many different variations! Pink white, pink almond, purple white, purple pink, red white, red almond, red pink, blue white, yellow white, yellow almond, and so on! Oh, and they bloom also by day.

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe hybrids of this plant might give us even more interesting color combinations!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lantana camara.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'm surprised that Lantana stays small in Jamaica, Sven! Over here, they get huge. I love that colour combo - mine are sort of orange with pinkish centers or else solid yellow.

4. SvenLittkowski

Michael: thanks!

Lorax: can you post some photos so I can see the plants how they grow at your location? I am curious! :-)

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>grows all over here in Jamaica<

Considered a noxious weed in Hawaii, where biological control is being tried.

6. SvenLittkowski

Yeah, it's all over here, too. Beautiful and variantful, but all over. They are all over in nature, but there are also many public places usíng them as intended decoration.

Just for my curiosity, could you all post here photos of all their variants you see at your locations? Would be nice.

7. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Here's a closeup of the most common flower colour in the South, and the solid-purple variation; we've also got other species of Lantana, seeing as how I'm in the plant's actual native range. I'll take some pics of the solid yellow ones and the pink/orange ones later today - there's a house up the street using them as a privacy hedge.

The second pic isn't L. camara, but L. trifolia.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Native in Jamaica, so not a weed there. And presumably its various biological controls also exist there naturally.

9. SvenLittkowski

Thanks, Lorax, for the photo(s)! Great!

If you see any color variant of the Lantana Camara at your location, please let us see here some photos of their varieties! Let's get together a big collection of photos of its many different possible color combinations!