Bird Friendly, All Season Interest Shrubs

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by WesternWilson, Apr 20, 2009.

1. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

Our house was built about 25 years ago and the clay/gravel borders were planted with typical border shrubs of the day. Most are now dying a protracted death, after a stunted adulthood in this infertile, poor draining soil. The previous homeowner was mad for pruning, so the borders worked for him (little growth, very stylized).

Now I am slowly redoing the beds, and replanting. I have a big garden adjacent to our doorway, mostly sunny, shaped like 1/4 of a pie, and roughly 10' x 15'.

I'd like to encourage birds into the yard, so what grouping of shrubs and underplantings with year round bones and some evergreen components do you all recommend?

Regards,
    Janet

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Native shrubs and perennials have the most wildlife value. Native plants and plantings are in vogue so you should be able to find an assortment of these on offer locally.

Foreign origin shrubs and trees happening to be useful to birds and mammals here should not be planted for this very reason: these are spread widely to become nuisance plants. Common examples: holly, ivy and Himalayan blackberry.

Some of these also support nuisance animals of foreign origin like starlings and wharf rats.