Big Japanese Maple move

Discussion in 'Maples' started by jimmyq, Nov 5, 2003.

1. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Dug the trench, drum tied the root ball, cut under the rootball with a chain then secured and lifted with the Hiab to the truck deck. 6 inch caliper, 2 people digging for a couple of hours to prepare.

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

in the second picture you can see Kevin, our crane guy on the ground and part of my legs on the deck guiding the beast down. Weather was perfect for the move today, close to freezing all day and nice and dry out. for the record, no taproot, largest roots encountered were about 3/4 inch, most rooting was about 6 inches down through 12 inches down, soil type was sandy loam.

3. stephen2602

stephen2602 Member

You did not give the reason to move it.. I hope it went to a better home. Over here in Australia, that sized tree could fetch around $2000 AUD. The market for mature trees is something I would like to get into if I had the land...

Stephen

4. jimmyq

We are doing a complete yard re-landscape. Tree wasn't in the new plans. We have put it to a nursery for potting ( a large custom made box about 56 inches ( 1.5 M) across) and have asked them to put it for sale on a consignment basis. Retail price will probably be in the $3000-$4000 CDN dollar range.