Pruning: Best way and time to prune Cedrus deodara?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by JerryRaack, Feb 28, 2013.

1. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

I have a Cedrus deodara 'Snowsprite' that I have kept in a 10 gallon pot, but keep it outdoors (growing as pot-in-pot). I've had it for 3 years now at the corner of my home facing Southwest. However, I live in a mature Oak, Maple and Beech forest in central Ohio (Zone 6). It is getting a little leggy due to less than optimal sunlight I suspect. What is the best method to prune it to get it to be a denser, fuller plant. When is the best time to prune it? I've attached a photo of it to show what it looks like today, and what a branch looks like so you can see the length of internodes.

Any help someone can give would be greatly appreciated. I'd eventually like to keep this at about a 5 to 6 foot height, although I know over time that will become more difficult.
    Thanks!
    Jerry

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Snip the tips back a little when growth starts in spring. If it has been in the same pot for 3 years it is overdue for being moved into a bigger one. At least shave the outside of the rootball and replant with fresh soil around it. This root reduction would also have a temporary dwarfing effect on the top - unless undertaken every year, as is done with bonsai.

3. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

Ron B,
    Thanks for the reply. So there is no way to prune it now so the new candles start farther back in toward the tree? What I fear is having these longer branches now with lots of shorter new growth at the ends of them. The problem with this is not so much in the looks as it is in having lots of needles at the ends that can catch freezing rain/snow and create a lot of weight for the long branches.
    Jerry

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Bare interior areas will not sprout but you can affect further development by pruning back outer shell that still has foliage.

5. JerryRaack

JerryRaack Active Member

Thanks Ron!