Best Place for Seaweed?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by island_girl, Jun 16, 2004.

1. island_girl

island_girl Member

Hi,
    Where is the best place to collect seaweed that had washed ashore? I am thinking whyte cliff park near horseshoe bay. Any suggestions?
    thanks

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions, but I would like to dissuade you from collecting in the park.

Generally, park areas do not allow collecting / harvesting of any kind (or at least, without a permit). That may not be the case for West Vancouver (home of Whytecliff); I've read through their Parks Regulation Bylaws and didn't find anything specifically about harvesting, although collecting may fall under the more general

Or it may not, I'm not a lawyer! Still, it is better to err on the side of the public good and "let things be" in parks.

As for alternate sites, I'll have to leave it to someone who has spent more time along the coast.

3. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

HI
    You might want to try contacting one the local scuba shops or clubs.

Regards Doug