Best grapes vine?

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by karaan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. karaan

karaan Member

Hi
    Can anyone advice me the best tropical variety of grape vine and should be a disease tolerance too(Black Rot, Powdery Mildew)?

karaan

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

There are many to choose from, however those that grow in the tropics are very difficult to obtain worldwide... ie indigenous species only... at what altitude? THE BEST ARE VINEFERA VARIETALS BUT THEY ARE GROWN AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS IN THE TROPICS...
    The Vinefera vine is the choice of wine makers, what is your intention? Most or all wine producing vines need care for disease and control of pests....

I suggest the following, know the growing conditions first, then request info from a myriad of sources, including the actual estate winery. And please let us know what is the purpose for wine, juice, table grapes, or for drying ?

3. karaan

karaan Member

Thanks Baron,
    My main purpose is for table and wine. I have seen some variety names like Concord, Mars Seedless, Steuben. Are these OK for my requirement?

4. K Baron

If you wish to grow vinefera vines in the UK especially in suburban London, I would compare the varietals already in production at the nearby estsate winery. On the other hand, if the vine is to grow up against a s.w. rock wall, and receives direct all day sunshine with a favourable micro climate, you may have success growing many vinefera varietals... ie Marechal Foch, Riesling, Muscat, Verdelho, Gewurztraminer, Chardonnay, Malbec, Pinot Noir (marginal)...
    Also gogle your area for wineries, and inquire their success stories...

5. karaan

karaan Member

Thanks again Baron,
    I am currently living in UK, I wish to grow grapes in Srilanka.

6. K Baron

Great, you may get 2 or 3 crops a season... at what altitude? India has a burgeoning wine industry...I would then also consider the following.. Syrah, Petit Verdot, Cab. Sauvignion, Zinfandel, Rousanne, Tempranillo, Barbera, there are so many...

Be sure to research what has succeeded and failed in SriLanka....at what elevation will you attempt this? The terrior will determine what you can successfully grow... tropical heat can be a difficult problem for wine makers...especially the high humidity....fungal deseases...

7. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

8. BlueberryMania

BlueberryMania Active Member

Question: Is it possible to grow grapes in a hope garden. I live in Kenya and have a small home farm in the highlands. Am trying to grow various temperate fruits. I wouldn't mind trying grapes out.

I have heard that there are some people growing grapes (some in green-houses).

Don't know anything about growing grapes. Any info will be appreciated. The climate here is tropical to sub-tropical.

Thanks

9. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

10. BlueberryMania

BlueberryMania Active Member

Thanks for the info. I have contacted some of the local agencies but people here seem unwilling to share information.

I will do some more research on the net and then see how to go about it.

Take care

11. kate maria

kate maria Member

Re: growing vines in kenya

hi
    i am a farmer in kenya looking for information on gowing grape vines in kenya. (tropical climate) please help with info on how to start and what is needed.

thanks.

12. chanaka

chanaka Member

Hi Karen,
    Were you able to find any varieties and suppliers for grape vine in Sri Lanka.