Beginner gardener in question of type of soil to use

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by CMichael, May 14, 2017.

1. CMichael

CMichael New Member

Good day, we are getting a late start planting on the coast. I have four soil types (Ground, Organic Seed Starter, Cactus Soil, and Perlite) Seeds that we have are various flowers, Magnolia Delavayi, Aloe Species Mix, Kiwi (vine), Herbs (Thyme, Basil, Cilantro, Oregano, Parsley, Sage), Tiger Lily, and Goji Berry. Was wondering what type of soil to use for each seeds and idea with Kiwi and Goji would be to get them started for next season. Is it possible for Kiwi and Goji to survive a couple cold snaps in the winter? It does not drop below 0 very often here. Or, is it possible to keep them inside a couple months in the winter with sun exposure? Thank you for your time :)

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

This is kind of big question. The kiwi and goji are generally hardy in this area once established. Both might be tricky to to grow from seed and it will take a while to get fruit. Both of these are sold as plants on the coast if you want fruit sooner. (Also be aware kiwi usually have separate male and female plants.) Magnolia seed needs winter stratification--meaning you plant the seed in the fall and expose them to cool temperature and they germinate when you warm them in the spring. You might want to read up about that one. I tried magnolia once. I got a lot of germination, but did not manage to get any of my plants past the second year. Lilies also often require stratification, but different species require different treatments, so you need to look up the exact one you have. The herbs should be fairly easy in regular seed starting medium. They have different temperature preferences, so it good to look up each plant to see if they are warm or cool germinaters. (I am a weekender in Sechelt.) Your basil will need a warm spot.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.