beef steak tomato seedlings..

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by davidh75, Feb 26, 2009.

1. davidh75

davidh75 Member

I am wondering if my tomato seedlings are growing ok, if its spot on from growing from seeds.. i have 2 i kept, the others i got rid of because they weren't growing good enough for my eye. they are beef steak.like bigger fruit for sandwiches, old family thing we all eat, tomato sandwiches with mayo.

the two i have are still seedling stage, they have each gotten multiple sets of leaves already, so what i did was replant them in larger containers, good potting soil and i planted them half way up the stem so as to promote root growth on the lower part of the stem (read that online somewhere else) and the seem to be doing good, still standing up nice and strong. I also water then maybe a couple tablespoons of water every day or every other day. i also purchased some tomato food stakes that i put into the soil (2 per each plant, 1 on each side) the tomatoes seedlings are in the window sill where there is bright and warm light for most of the day, atleast 10 hours a day, and the temp doesnt get cold. at night they stay in the window for now, and a curtain is pulled over behind them, to keep some warmth on the side. i have attached pictures of both plants, and if you could tell me if im doing this right, I would greatly appreciate it, because this is my first attempt to actually grow them fully from seed, previous seedlings have died... also if you can tell he an easy home remedy for making these seedlings grow stronger, bigger, and fast.. i dont plan on having them in full sun in the ground.. and they might even be grown in large containers..

(the picture on the left below is the larger seedling)

Attached Files:

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

Your plants look fairly healthy, though I think for their size they are in too big a pot. It doesn't hurt for tomato seedings to be a little cool, apparently they grow better if it's not too warm. Brush your seedling with your hand a couple of times a day or put a gentle fan on them as that will encourge nice strong stems. You could start to fertilize them with fertilizer with a high middle number as that will encourage strong roots.

Good luck!

3. davidh75

davidh75 Member

thanks, i will do that.

4. davidh75

davidh75 Member

Re: beef steak tomato seedlings..UPDATE!!

I wanted to letl everyone know what has been going with those 2 beef steak tomato seedlings i planted, the best way to do this is to just... post the pictures.. but to say, they are growing super!! as well as 2 other babies i grew from seeds!!

YAY!! i did it!

Attached Files:

5. JanR

JanR Active Member

They look great! :)

6. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

David, you have the superb year round growing area. Well, maybe 2-3 months you don't. But that is seed time. Great work.