Bamboo

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by pakulak, Mar 29, 2005.

1. pakulak

pakulak Member

We are being overrun by bamboo and would appreciate any advise on methods of removal or killing it. Digging into this very mature, very large clump seems nearly impossible and we are hoping there is a solution besides using roundup. The bamboo is at least 7' high and covers an area of approximately 3' x 7'. I do not know what type it is. Thanks so much.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  2. sansbury168

sansbury168 Member

do you know what type of bamboo it is? height and diameter of culms and area that is unwanted. the best way to get rid of unwanted bamboo is to dig it up or have someone dig it up for you in trade for the plant.

once the main plant has been removed the remaining rizomes will lose most of thier energy. bamboo is a single plant and the mass above ground fuels the rizomes below. the remaining rizomes will try putting up new shoots but they will be very small without the main plant.

the remaining rizomes can be delt with two ways:

1) if you cut the new shoots before leaf out the roots will die after a few attemps as it will run out of energy.

2) if you remove the new shoot and as much of the rizome it will die much faster.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

You probably read Ralph Waltons comment in this similar thread, but if you didn't you should.

4. bambooking

bambooking Member

7' high and 3' by 7'. Dig it out. That is not overrun. I have 22 varieties I planted 12 years ago and now cover at least half an acre. that is a good time. Pot it up and good luck.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Evergreen grass with woody stems (canes) or herbaceous perennial with hollow, jointed stems that die away each year and heart shaped leaves?

6. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

A great many suburban bamboo plantings around Vancouver seem to be either phyllostachys aurea (golden bamboo) or pseudosasa japonica (japanese arrow bamboo)...There are a great many species grown locally, but these two are typical. Pseudosasa japonica is characterized by a very dense clump, with persistent culm sheaths (the 'husk' remains on the cane), and it doesn't get that tall: perhaps this is what you've got...You would find this one a hard dig; it is difficult to get right into the clump, if you're eradicating it might as well cut it to stubs at the outset, and dig the clump. Bring a mattock.

7. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I agaree -either phyllostachys aurea orPseudosasa japonica. Whatever tools you use, make sure they are sharp. A Sawzall or other electric reciprocating saw comes in really handy for a job like this. If you are thinking of weakening by cutting down the culms, make sure that you cut down all the culms. Leaving any standing with foliage will just keep it alive.

8. Debbie Pyke

Debbie Pyke Member

I also have about 1 acre of bamboo planted around 12 years ago. I have about 20 varieties would you be interested in havesting mine I don't want it.