Identification: Bacterial Blight or Transplant shock?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Mathew, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Mathew

Mathew New Member

I just received my second load of trees from my tree grower. All of my Lindens have wilted leaves with black margins, deformed leaves with holes, and drooping branch tips. When I looked this up in my reference books, all fingers pointed to Pseudomonas syringe (bacterial blight). The nursery responded by saying the holes in the leaves were due to nutrient deficiency and the black curled leaves and twigs was due to being transplanted while the tree was pushing new growth. I didn't think leaf scorch from water loss would produce the black colour on the leaves, they simply dry out and turn brown.

Does anyone have experience with this situation or can at least back up the grower's claims?

Thanks a bunch!

Attached Files:

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Doubtfully bacterial blight. Tilia species and cultivars are normally robust and disease free. The cause of the damage, which is clearly profound, looks like a water problem (not nutrient related). I suspect that something (ill-timed digging, perhaps) interrupted the normal expansion and development of the leaves and shoots. Tissues that are not supplied with adequate moisture will die, and unexpanded tissues will often turn black when they die. The tree may yet recover if conditions are ideal, but survival and regrowth will depend most of all on a good root system.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, it looks like it was dug up out of the ground right before you got it. Or maybe the stock got overheated during transport. And why is the supplier comfortable nonchalantly stating that the stock supplied was nutrient deficient?

4. Mathew

Mathew New Member

Thanks you guys. Was just looking for a second opinion. The supplier has a good reputation, but I haven't worked with them a whole lot. I've gotten trees from them through a middle-man before and they were good.