Australian Mint Bush Help!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by juliacmatthews, Mar 4, 2010.

1. juliacmatthews

juliacmatthews Member

Hello,

I just bought my Australian mint bush (prostanthera rotundifolia) last week and already the flowers are dying!

I'm wondering about the light and watering requirements. I keep seeing that it needs part to full sun.... so i've had it outside and in south and west facing windows, and ive given it a bit of water, i think 3 times (but never too much) I also misted it a few times cause my apt is a bit dry. I'm thinking ive gone wrong with the watering.

I need help though! I pulled off TONS of dried up flowers today. (am i supposed to pull off the flowers, or leave them to come off on their own?)

and how much is a light punning? and will this help it grow more flowers?

THANKS!!!

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Prostanthera rotundifolia

Maybe not enough moisture. Sounds like they want moist soil, but never to sit in water.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  3. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

Interesting, I have a wilty mint bush... I've had mine for about 3 years without a problem; I put it out on a south facing deck in the summer where it thrives with just a bit of shade from a big shrub nearby. I always just give it enough water to keep it moist, but not too much, and prune back after it finishes flowering. It goes in the greenhouse over winter, although I read that it could survive outdoors here if in a protected spot... a bit risky, I think. It's been a really enjoyable plant to have and I love the masses of flowers and constant olfactory experience! But for the past several weeks it's looked wilted. I gave it more water and it didn't improve. I thought, wow, I don't think it ever got that dry, but gave it more anyway, then worried I'd given it too much! It keeps blooming and hasn't dropped any flowers, they just look droopy, as do the leaves. Then I wondered if the change of environment could have caused it, it'd come into the house from the greenhouse floor where it's quite cool over winter, and then sat in the house, warmer, dryer... I've had it outside during the day the past few days to harden off before it stays on the deck, and keeping it moist. I hope it'll perk up again. Perhaps since you just got yours, it's also had a change of environment that it's reacting to? I hope yours perks up too, juliacmatthews, good luck!

4. juliacmatthews

juliacmatthews Member

Mine has actually gotten worse. Its lost almost all its flowers, and is now getting a bit wilted. I re potted it, and some days keep it outside (west facing) but have been bringing it in most nights as im afraid it will get too cold (since it did snow last week!). Its just getting worse and worse and im afraid its going to die!!!! Less then a month ago it was completely covered in flowers. I did trim it back a bit after a lot of the flowers fell off, but then was worried that i may be cutting off potential buds.

Is it normal for it to loose its flowers in the spring? Is there any chance that they will come back again before the summer?????

Thanks everyone!

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe it has been frosted. Not a very hardy plant.

6. juliacmatthews

juliacmatthews Member

Okay, So it did get frosted...and died. I bought a new one.

Now the new one is inside for the winter. I brought it in just before that big frost in December I think? Its been in since, and now I'm worried it won't flower again cause the little tag that came with it says that it needs to be between 6-9 degress to ensure flowers but not to let it go below 5 degrees or it will die (like my last one ;(). Now I'm confused with the water requirements. The tips have gone brown and wilted. I know that once they wilt a little bit they need more water, and they will perk up once I do water them, but that's when they're still green... Ive just cut some of the seemingly dead stuff off, but am thinking that if there were any flower buds set before I brought it in, I've just cut those off too. Bah. Has anyone kept their mint bush in during the winter and had it flower during the spring? And Do you fertilize it during the winter and how often do you water it? Thanks!!!!!

7. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

Sudden change of environment may be hard on it... house temps may be too high. If you have a cooler, lit basement or garage with windows it may fare better. I water mine very sparingly through the winter and don't fertilize until spring. It's just starting to bud right now. It's dropped quite a few leaves, they're littered around the floor in the gh, but there's lots of green ones left. These are drought hardy, so should have a good draining soil mix and get well watered when the top few inches are dry, then left alone.. Too much water can cause browning leaves. hope it comes back for you!

8. juliacmatthews

juliacmatthews Member

Okay I'm back about 5 years later and I'm on my 4th mint bush, I think.

I have learned to keep it in over the winter, then put it outside for about 6 weeks of cold in the spring in order to allow it to set flower buds. I do find it hard to have it inside during the winter, however. I have a pretty dry apt and not a lot of light. Not to mention its a pretty big bush and it takes up a lot of space. Has anyone had any luck keeping it outside with burlap wrapped around it and lots of mulch on top? I just re potted it so the roots are well buried in soil and I have a sheltered location. Any thoughts?

9. juliacmatthews

juliacmatthews Member

Hi Everyone! I'm back but have moved to Toronto. I left my very healthy Aussie Mint bush with a friend before I left Vancouver. Now I am having trouble finding this plant here, I assume because it's not very hardy. Does anyone know of a supplier that carries it? Anywhere in Canada is fine - I'm hoping I can sweet talk someone into shipping it for me. Thank you!