Asparagus (Millennium)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, May 29, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

It's too bad that only 9 plants survived, but it's much better than nothing, which is what I have. :(. Caused by the same problem as you. It's just too wet. I will try again, but I will put them in a raised bed instead. I picked my first wild asparagus yesterday. They were very good. :)

3. Durgan

All the plants survived. I noticed shoots from the one's missing. I didn't cut any this year, but expect some stalks next year. I put a lot of effort making the bed.

4. JanR

JanR Active Member

I am glad that all your plants survived. Some of mine seem to still be living too. I really need to move the plants to a new bed where it is not so wet. I imagine that spring is the best time to move the plants, so I have missed the boat this year. Hopefully I will have time to make a new bed and get it done next spring. I might to best to just buy new plants.

5. Durgan

6. Durgan

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AsparagusC Commercial Asparagus Field.

It appears this field was not cut in 2009. This is the information I got from a grower. They have 30 acres with eleven cutters and two sorters. They cut for two to three weeks, and supply the local market plus ship to the USA, since their harvest is earlier in the US and have already flooded the Canadian market. The cutters are from Trinidad and Tobago, since it is impossible to get modern Canadians to work the fields. About 20 thousand workers are imported from the Caribbean for farm work during the Summer in the Province of Ontario alone.

The views of the field give some idea of the spacing of the plants. I suspect this is the second or third year of growth.

7. JanR

JanR Active Member

Interesting photos! I've never seen commercially grown asparagus before.