Asparagus fern propogation tips?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by stakey, Oct 22, 2005.

1. stakey

stakey Member

Hi! I have a beautiful asparagus fern (which I learned today is Asparagus Myriocladus) that I would like to propagate, but I'm nervous about attempting division, as I've never tried it before and I certainly don't want to harm my plant. Can anyone give me some tips as to exactly how to divide, how much to take off, etc.? Thanks in advance! (=

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

i wouldnt be to nervous about division .. if you are nervous about it.. just try takeing a lil bit at first .. and start a small plant ... you can always add to it later and make a bigger plant .. if both are doing good ..

good luck

Marn

3. Nightbird

Nightbird Member

Don't be nervous. Take a sharp knife and slice the root ball in half or quarters or however you wish. This is one tough plant and will bounce back easily.

4. stakey

stakey Member

Thanks for your help guys! I ended up soaking the roots in water to untangle them and the root ball simply split itself into three pieces!

Now I have another problem: how do I make the plants bushier? They look rather sad (yet green) and straggly now. =(

5. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf Active Member 10 Years

My asparagus ferns loves to grow extremely long vines that make the plant look not that great. What I do is cut back the long vines a bit to make it look tidy. Then after a while it'll put out new shoots from the nodes (sections) along the stem that I cut, which will make the plant bushier.