Aroids in Planted Ripariums

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by hydrophyte, Sep 26, 2009.

1. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Active Member

I have had a few years of experience growing plants in ripariums. These decorative displays combine elements of planted aquariums with some other kinds of setups. Here is one definition that has been offered:

Anyway, I have found various semi-aquatic, emergent aroids to be among the best plants for ripariums. In this thread I would like to describe some of my riparium displays, while highlighting the various aroids that I have grown in them. I'll start with the large tank that I have in the living room of my home.

65-gallon Riparium

The first a photograph attached below is from just this afternoon. I include also a couple of shots of the dwarf taro Colocasia fallax 'Silver Dollar', which is the centerpiece of this tank. I acquired this variety last spring from Plant Delights. I also have the species. 'Silver Dollar' grows somewhat larger leaves for me. It is such a handsome plant.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Active Member

This same riparium setup (the 65-gallon) also features as background plants the sweetflag Acorus gramineus 'Ogon'. I include attached (the first picture) a good-sized 'Ogon' in a riparium planter.

I understand that Acorus is no longer classified in Araceae, and instead resides in its own family, Acoraceae. A major feature distinguishing Acoraceae from the Araceae is the former group's lack of a flower spathe (if anyone sees any problems with my amateur's understanding of taxonomy here, then please correct me!). OF the several species of Acorus, A. gramineus is the most suitable for growing in ripariums. Other species, such as A. calamus tend to grow too large for the confines of an aquarium enclosure. A. gramineus also includes a number of attractive cultivars, with variations such as leaf pin-striping and colors ranging from dark green to bright yellow.

I have tried a few different wetland grasses and sedges in ripariums, but most either grow too large or develop ratty, unmanageable foliage. Sweetlflags, on the other hand, have tidy leaves that arch gracefully into the layout midground and evoke a grassy riverbank appearance. The second attached picture below shows this pleasing growth habit well. Acorus gramineus are hardy overall and grow rather slowly, so they are undemanding, low-maintenance riparium plants.

Attached Files:

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Just thought you'd like to know I received a note from Ecuagenera today and they can ship Ecuadorian Spathiphyllum plants. I've asked for a list of the species they are growing.

4. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Active Member

Thanks for asking about those Steve. I have meant to send them a note but hadn't gotten to it yet. I would be interested in any details on shipping, costs of plants and stuff like that. I would be so happy if I could get a hold of some species Spathiphyllum. Maybe they can ship some of those riparian-associated Anthurium too.

5. photopro

I've asked for the species available as well as the prices. It would be fairly easy for them to ship them to me with the couple of plants I'm trying to find and then I'll forward them to you. I'll let you know once I receive a response.

6. photopro

7. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Active Member

Hmm, that is an attractive plant, or better-looking than most peace lilies anyway. It has a nice bloom.

It is rather big and coarse to plant in a riparium, but like a lot of these aroids it should work OK as a loan centerpiece specimen. I see that the leaves are probably >30cm long. I bet it's easy to grow.

That's funny that herbarium specimen is from Finca La Selva in Costa Rica.

Yes please let me know when you might send your order to Ecuagenera.

8. photopro

I have two email addresses and the one they use is down for service. Once I can check the messages I'll send you a note.

9. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Active Member

Hey Steve I would still love to acquire any unusual Spathiphyllum or riparian Anthurium if you ever hear about any available.

I have an update from my 55-gallon riparium. That tank had gotten to be overgrown. The large emersed Microsorum fern and Anubias barteri were so large that they blocked all of the light to the underwater area. I attach a picture of the whole tank after removal of those specimens. It looked a little disheveled after moving the plants around, but its looks will improve during the next few weeks as the plants re-settle and grow in some more.

There are a lot of cool aroids in there. I'll come back with another post and specific notes for some of them.

Attached Files:

10. photopro

You've inspired me to finally set up the 55 gallon that has been empty in my office for years! A friend just left who came to help figure out how to get all the work done before my grandkids come for Thanksgiving.

I sent a request to Ecuagenera just days ago for a list of plants that should work as riparian species so I'll let you know privately what I learn. I'm not sure which species in my atrium might work but I'm checking on that as well. By the way, if you want to trade for some plants that aren't aquatic so you can increase your aroid collection just holler! I'm really trying to find aquatics that would naturally be found in Ecuador since I'm going to set the entire display up as an Ecuadorian river bank with only a couple of angelfish and a school of neon tetras.

Nice tank!

11. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Active Member

Hey Steve how is your riparium setup doing? I have some more plant material to trade in case you could use any more marginal aquatic stuff.

12. photopro

Growing like crazy! The Spathiphyllum are producing new inflorescences on a regular basis and the lat time I counted there were over twenty! The purely aquatic plants in the sand are also spreading rapidly and just yesterday I had to divide several.

I'd love to do some trading but we'd be wise to wait a few months. We are having one of the coldest winters in a very long time here and the day temps stay under freezing almost every day with night temps in the mid to low teens! Something tells me a plant in a box would not be real happy in a mail truck!

Stay in touch!

13. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Active Member

Hey Steve where did you get your Spathiphyllum? Do you have species plants or are they just regular houseplant cultivars?

I only rarely see blooms on my Spaths.. Perhaps yours are responding favorably to your bright lighting.

Well just let me know if you might need any other plants. I have done several recent shipments that have gone well. I use an insulated shipping box along with a 24-hour heat pack. It is also helpful to include a plastic beverage bottle filled with water as extra thermal mass.

14. photopro

Most Spathiphyllum I have had for 10 years or more. We did buy two new plants locally but when I showed Dr. Croat the spathes they appear to be a species or at least a close hybrid. They have been producing new spathes on a very regular basis since we added them to the riparium.

I just did a close check and found 5 new inflorescences developing. I would say the strong light is likely the cause as is the weekly addition of a dilute aquatic fertilizer. Contrary to popular belief, Dr. Croat says these plants love bright light and water so the combination of the light, fertilizer and growing with their roots fully submerged appears to be working.