Are these Quercus cerris? Long narrow leaves with many deep thin rounded lobes

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, May 15, 2013.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

For some reason last year, I decided this was Quercus alba, White Oak.
    20120605_StanleyPkParking_QuercusAlba_Cutler_P1240554.jpg

Then today, I saw the tree below and recognized it as something I was supposed to know. But I don't see that I posted it here for ID, and when I look up Quercus alba, what I see are leaves not as large and with not as many lobes. My hand span is 20cm, and that was not the largest leaf I measured. One of my books shows Quercus cerris, Turkey Oak, looking like this, and that's what I called it today, but Wikipedia says leaves on that are supposed to be only 14 cm long and the drawing in Straley's Trees of Vancouver shows pointed tips on the lobes, which this does not have. Wikipedia photos do not show tips as pointed as in Straley's drawing.
    20130515_22ndOntario_Quercus_Cutler_P1460216.jpg 20130515_22ndOntario_Quercus_Cutler_P1460218.jpg 20130515_22ndOntario_Quercus_Cutler_P1460220.jpg

It also seems last year I decided a group of trees near the UBC bus loop were Quercus cerris, and that's what I remembered today.
    20121109_UniversityEastMall_QuercusCerris-TurkeyOak_Cutler_P1360633.jpg

I think these trees are all the same thing, yes? But are they Quercus cerris or something else?

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

I think you're probably correct but for comparison here's a link to Bur Oak.
    http://bobklips.com/treeflowers2.html If you DON"T see any acorns on these
    young trees it makes a good case for Bur Oak which is in late in maturing to bear acorns.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to Hungarian Oak Quercus frainetto. One of the world's most spectacular oaks.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thank you all. Here's a complication. Hungarian Oak is not in Straley's Book so I looked it up in Collins Tree Guide (Johnson & More, HarperCollins, 2004) and it said to compare to Caucasian Oak, Quercus macranthera. When I looked that up in Straley's book, I found that the trees in my last photo, from UBC University Blvd, are listed under that ID. I hadn't even considered Q. macranthera because the drawing showed leaves with very shallow lobes. Here are two more photos from that location. In the tree photo, at the top (and only at the top) are a few leaves with shallow lobes.

So would it be two Hungarian Forest Green (TM), Quercus frainetto 'Schmidt', and one Caucasian, or do you think they're all the first one?

I had no idea I had to pay closer attention because there would be so many options. I can try to get back when the acorns are out. According to the Tree Guide, the Caucasian acorns should be longer and a lighter colour. I'm not sure about leaf length. Tree Guide says Caucasian Oak leaves to 22cm (and the drawing looks similar to Hungarian Oak). Eyewitness Handbooks Trees (Coombes, DK Publishing, 1992) says leaves to 15cm (and the drawing looks like Straley's drawing).

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Only seeing Hungarian oak in these pictures.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto, all Hungarian Oak.

Caucasian Oak has much less deeply lobed leaves, with each lobe simple, not with side lobules.