Are My Hedges Dying?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Marci Gaetz, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Marci Gaetz

Marci Gaetz New Member

The builders next door decided to build a half a foot over the property line and in the process dug up and severed the roots of our hedges and I am worried that they might die now because of this. Half of them are still left uncovered and despite all our efforts so far, the builders ignored our attempts to protect the trees. Do you guys think these trees will be able to survive? We are likely going to have to take this to court which is frustrating. The city won’t get involved.

Please note that the first wide angle photo of the hedges was taken February 01, 2018 and the others are more recent. You can see that in the second wide angle photo of the hedges, there are patches missing. I took that one yesterday - March 20, 2018

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar experience or has any tips to help save our trees.

Thanks in advance,

Marci G.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Contact an ISA-certified arborist (here's the Find an Arborist tool: Find an Arborist )

They'll be able to offer professional opinions on something that is possibly litigious.

And, yes, root damage can certainly be problematic.

3. Marci Gaetz

Marci Gaetz New Member

Thank you for the suggestions, Daniel. I have now contacted a certified arborist to get a professional opinion. I hope we will be able to save these trees.

Best regards,

Marci G.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Great -- it's not that thoughts from forum participants aren't welcome, but if you are possibly going to court, you'll want an expert who has examined the situation in-person.