Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by dabryyna1, Jul 9, 2006.
hey was just wondering if anyone knows if grape vines (wild) are poisonous if eaten by horse?
My databases don't mention it at all -- I have about a hundred pages of info about livestock-poisonous plants, as I suspected my miniature horses (in Colborne area of Ontario) were getting into something two years ago that caused liver disease and anemia, but they eventually got better on their own and I never did find out what was causing that.
Doesn't mean it ISN'T poisonous to them -- just means it isn't listed in any of my references. If they've been eating it, I'd just watch them for adverse signs, taking away any of it that they could get into in the meantime. If no bad signs, no issue -- it would be listed in my references if any known long-term effects could be found.
Leah , Brighton Ontario
I do not know about horses but I was told by my dog's vet that some dogs can die if they eat grapes much in the same way as some cannot tolerate chocolate. Max, our black lab, loves grapes and eats a bunch a day when ours ripen. This would seem to point to the fact that not all animals may react in the same way to a given food.
Don't know if this info is of any use you you but I certainly found it interesting as may other grape growing dog owners.
I've heard that about dogs and grapes as well: my one dog eats grapes with enjoyment and impunity (lab and border collie cross) while the other likes them but they make him vomit so he never gets them any more (border collie and german shepherd cross).
With the chocolate, it all depends on the body weight of the dog: all dogs suffer from chocolate toxicity, but most of them never get enough chocolate in relation to their body weight to get sick from it. Except the chihuahuas and papillons, who are usually so tiny that they do indeed suffer greatly when ingesting a bit of the stuff.
Re: the original question - I've not heard that they are. A search for [GOOGLE]"plants poisonous to horses" vitis[/GOOGLE] turns up no results, and I didn't see any mention in the results for [GOOGLE]"plants poisonous to horses"[/GOOGLE], either.
Grape leaves are edible to humans, but they are usually steamed or cooked, this probably dissolves the crysolith hairs,(the furry bits, which are generally not that stout). So there could be a possible slight stomach reaction by Horses, if they gorge themselves on it. They would not be poisonous to Horses. I have seen Horses eat grapes with no problems.
Separate names with a comma.