Arbutus Ridge

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by ymclean, Mar 25, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: * POSTED - Serrula - Arbutus Ridge, SE corner King Edward at Valley Dr.

Yes, I just found one in Stanley Park, but you won't be as excited about its photographic possibilities, except that it's relatively old and therefore interest-worthy. I've posted it in the West End neighbourhood.

2. Sue Wagner

Sue Wagner Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Great and even if it is older than its cousin at Valley and King Ed, the tree looks to be less infected. This is so exciting and I love the second picture --peeling bark and blossom all in one! My first chance to see it will be Saturday;thanks for the directions.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If the affliction is in fact something like black knot it would probably be better if the tree was removed.

Clean up trees annually. This involves pruning out swollen areas during winter or early spring. Prune at least 3 inches below the visible swelling as the fungus extends several inches beyond the knot. Wounds should be covered with a wound dressing, such as Braco, shellac, Bordeaux paint (Bordeaux powder plus linseed oil mixed into a paste) or other reliable wound dressing products available from seed and garden supply dealers. Destroy all prunings by burning before spring since pruned knots will still produce spores which can spread the disease. Severely infected trees should be removed and burned.

In establishing new plantings and also in helping to control disease in established plantings, wild cherries and plums in the vicinity should be thoroughly cleaned up or removed.

http://www4.agr.gc.ca/AAFC-AAC/display-afficher.do?id=1198101468695&lang=e

4. ymclean

ymclean Member

Barbara Day has found us three new cherries in our area:

1. May 3 Valley Drive, just north of 21st Ave, east side, midway to backlane, next to sidewalk on private property: a young Ichiyo in blossom, looking lovely. This will be interesting to watch - it may become too large for its placement.

2. May 5 on W. 22nd Ave, 2600 block, just east of Trafalgar: there are five quite young Amanogawa planted privately along the east side boundary of the lot (at the front). These are in blossom beautifully, fastigiate of course, but blossoming from branches very low on the trunk. We didn't want to trespass to look more closely but would like to have.

3. May 4 on 22nd Ave. W., private lot at the north west corner of Balsam St. Help would be appreciated with this mystery tree.
    It looks like a Pendula with a very thick trunk hidden by the pendulous branches. It is only about 7 ft. tall but quite wide, obviously pruned for years into this shape.
    The oddity is that is a single white flower (now almost over!) with slender green sepals and the appearance of the inflorescence is just like Oshima. I hope that someone can look at it soon and make a comment.

We two Arbutus Scouts also had a lovely self-guided walk in Nitobe to see the rarities there and were very grateful for the photos in the Justice booklet.

5. spetrie

spetrie Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Some photos to go along with ymclean's notations re Barbara Day's recent finds.
    1. Valley Drive tree
    20080508_Valley Dr. nr. 21st._Ichiyo_Petrie_3924.jpg 20080508_Valley Dr. nr. 21st [private]_Ichiyo_Petrie_3925.jpg 20080508_Valley Dr. nr 21st_Ichiyo [private]_Petrie_3927.jpg 20080508_Valley Dr. nr. 21st. [private]_Ichiyo_Petrie_3929.jpg 20080508_Valley Dr. nr. 21st [private]_Ichyio_Petrie_3930.jpg

2. Amanogawa at 22nd near Trafalgar
    20080508_22cd. nr.Trafalgae [private]_Amanogawa_Petrie_3906.jpg

3. Pendulous white blossoms, 22nd near Balsam [Edited by wcutler 2010dec27: We have finally decided to call these 'Sendai-shidare'. See Sendai-shidare - Single white blossoms, mid-season, pendulous.]
    20080508_22cd. av. nr. Balsam [private] _Petrie_3917.jpg 2008080508_22cd. nr. Balsam [private]_Petrie_3919.jpg 20080508_22cd. nr Balsam [private]_Petrie_3921.jpg 20080508_22cd. nr. Balsam [private]_Petrie_3923.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
  6. wcutler

The Valley Drive tree isn't Shogetsu? The flowers look so white and the petal edges so frilly. I can't tell about the length of the stems.

The pendulous white one looks to me like the one we've given up on naming and just call "umbrella", posted in the Cultivar IDs forum.

7. spetrie

Ichiyo or Shogetsu - back to the drawing board! I did not count the petals or have a good look at the sepals, but the sepals seem barely serrated. Both have phylloid pistils with Shogetsu having two, rarely three [Kuitert]. So! Interesting! the pencil in the photo is 15 cm.long.

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

Thanks, Sheila. I'm just amazed at how many of these things I can mix up, but I think the petal edges seem too frilly for Ichiyo and the flowers are too white for blossoms that have just opened. Ichiyo fade before or as the centres go red, but they open very peachy-coloured and the tree never goes shiny white as in that photo. Here's a west-end Ichiyo that has been open a lot longer than the Arbutus Ridge tree. Ron says Shogetsu age purple - I don't remember that and am eager to see it, but so far, the west end Shogetsu are still just white. It will be interesting to see how this tree's blossoms age.

Ichiyo for comparison
    20080505_CarderoLane_Ichiyo_Cutler_5658r.jpg

You have nothing better to do than run back and forth to that tree, right? Are any of the penduncles/pedicels really long or are they all about like that? Those don't seem all that long, but it's such a young tree, maybe that makes a difference. I have no idea.

9. wcutler

I posted aged Shogetsu blossoms in the Cultivar IDs thread for Shogetsu. They seem to shrivel up on the tree before the pink gets much further than the centres, so the outside petals on the old blossoms are still white.

10. wcutler

They were looking pretty nice last week (May 7)

Attached Files:

11. Sue Wagner

I just have to post my latest pictures of Serrula when in full bloom.

Attached Files:

12. spetrie

Blossoms are in full bloom and beginning to fall. Tree is showing it's pleasing shape and soft light green leaves.

13. Sue Wagner

A trip to the Serrula was a pleasure but my photography skills seemed to be compromised. I hope someone else can capture its delicate colour in the fall landscape

Attached Files:

14. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

On April 10,

Hundreds of the plum trees, including Atropurpurea (full bloomed), Nigra (another week) and few Blireiana, are bloomed in Arbutus Ridge Community surrounded by King Edward Ave., MacDonald St., 16 Ave. and Arbutus Street, Vancouver.
    20090410_22Yew_Plum_Lin_1113.JPG 20090410_22Yew_Atropurpurea Plum_Lin_1119b.jpg 20090410_22Yew_Nigra Plum_Lin_1115b.JPG 20090410_22Yew_Blireiana Plum_Lin_1140b.jpg

You can have good photos at 22Ave & Yew St. and Trafalgar St. & Oliver Crescent.
    20090410_TrafalgarOliver_Atropurpurea Plum_Lin_1180b.JPG 20090410_OliverTrafalgar_Atropurpurea Plum_Lin_1172.JPG

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  15. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Festival favourite Takasagos in bloom on W.31, 2 blocks from Mackenzie to Trafalgar, on April 22, 2009.

Attached Files:

16. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Three Mikuruma-gaeshis in bloom with the Takasagos on W. 31, Mackenzie to Trafalgar, April 22, 2009.

Attached Files:

17. wcutler

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  18. wcutler

There are plenty of Kanzans in Arbutus Ridge. These cross the boundary on 30th running for what looks like blocks in each direction. I hope to find out how far they go. [Edited by wcutler] This just in from Sheila Petrie: 30th is a bower of PINK looking E and W. East from MacKenzie, there is a double row from MacKenzie to Trafalgar with a few replacements [4]; after Trafalgar 30th curves, following the 'Ridge' and here there are only a few on the N side and then 30th turns into Elm.

There are also a lot of Kanzans on 33rd, though Sheila says 33rd E of Mackenzie is not so impressive. MacDonald to Trafalgar they are on the N side only, as S boulevard is no longer there. From Trafalgar to Larch there is a double row with a few 'others' as replacements, and from Larch to Vine a double row with the some others on the N side. And from Vine to Arbutus only one stray on the S side near Arbutus. A little inconsistent but they are mature trees.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  19. wcutler

There are some nice Takasagos on 36th east of Mackenzie, well past peak but the trees still look good (from a bit of a distance).
    20090503_36Mackenzie_Takasago_Cutler_DSC03144.jpg 20090503_36Mackenzie_Takasago_Cutler_DSC03145.jpg

My friend Janet Gabites is pretty impressed by this intersection of Puget, Galiano and 20th and the run of Kanzans east from Puget Drive. Janet took the third photo.
    20090503_Puget20_Kanzan_Cutler_DSC03149.jpg 20090503_20Puget_Kanzan_Cutler_DSC03164.jpg 20090503_20Puget_Kanzan_Gabites_DSC03163.jpg

On the south side are two small trees that I hope to investigate further. The one on the right seems to be a Kanzan but a more intense colour than usual; the one on the left seems to be more like a Pink Perfection, but with Kanzan flowers. Once I looked at my terrible closeups, I thought it really might be Pink Perfection - I'm hoping Janet will get me better photos.
    20090503_Puget20_Kanzan_Cutler_DSC03151.jpg

20. jamor

jamor Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Avium Plena - Arbutus Ridge, Yew at W. 33rd

These eight tall majestic trees are still worth a visit, though the flowers are beginning to turn brown.

Attached Files:

21. wcutler

Re: Avium Plena - Arbutus Ridge, Yew at W. 33rd

Here's the map.
    37YewAviumPlena.gif

22. kennyc

kennyc Member

First posting 2010

I took the following pictures on Sunday March 28, 2010:

The first one is a lone Rancho taken on MacDonald Street & W19 Avenue. It looks out of place from the nearby trees. In fact, it's the only Rancho on this stretch of Macdonald Street from W16 to W King Edward.

20100328_MacDonald+W19_Rancho_Chan_0020.jpg 20100328_MacDonald+W19_Rancho_Chan_0018.jpg

Another walk along along Puget Dr brings me to this stunning Takasago. I'm glad to be able to identify it. With its characteristic soft-ball sized flower bundles, the tree is not hard to tell. There is another Takasago on the other side of the street. The third picture shows the star-like sepal.

20100328_Puget+W19_Takasago_Chan_0006.jpg 20100328_Puget+W19_Takasago_Chan_0010.jpg 20100328_Puget+W19_Takasago_Chan_0004.jpg

The final cultivar I spotted is the lone Mikuruma-gaeshi on W 18 and Macdonald. It has upright branches and huge 5-petal flowers. Yet, some flowers have staminodes and look like double flowers.

20100328_W18+MacDonald_MikurumaGeishi_Chan_0016.jpg 20100328_W18+MacDonald_MikurumaGeishi_Chan_0013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2012
  23. wcutler

I got a little lost in this neighbourhood today, but it wasn't for want of street names. This nice 'Beni-shidare' is just north of this intersection on Paton at 32nd and Haggart.
    20110417_Paton32nd_Beni-shidare_Cutler_P1100147.jpg 20110417_Paton32nd_Beni-shidare_Cutler_P1100142.jpg 20110417_Paton32nd_Beni-shidare_Cutler_P1100146.jpg 20110417_Paton32nd_Beni-shidare_Cutler_P1100144.jpg

South of the intersection is a good-looking old 'Akebono'.
    20110417_Paton32nd_Akebono_Cutler_P1100148.jpg 20110417_Paton32nd_Akebono_Cutler_P1100150.jpg

On Narvaez east of Puget is the 'Akebono' that made me turn into the area to begin with. You can look through the houses to the lane north of Narvaez to see two 'Akebono' in a back yard on the north side of the lane.
    20110417_NarvaezPuget_Akebono_Cutler_P1100153.jpg 20110417_NarvaezPuget_Akebono_Cutler_P1100155.jpg 20110417_NarvaezPugetLane_Akebono_Cutler_P1100162.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  24. wcutler

These 'Kanzan' on 16th don't form an arch they way they do on narrower streets, but they get points for being such a long run - from Arbutus to Trafalgar, and then across MacDonald they run for another few blocks with 'Ukon' in bloom on the median. Here they are at Arbutus looking west. They're a VCBF festival favourite this year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  25. wcutler

Here's a nice-looking 'Yae-beni-shidare' on 33rd just west of Puget Drive. The 'Akebono' in posting #48 are in bloom now.

Attached Files: