British Columbia: Aphids on my boxwoods

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by coast, May 25, 2011.

1. coast

coast Active Member 10 Years

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to protect my boxwoods from aphids? I planted boxwoods near my house and they are growing very very slowly as boxwoods do and any millimetre of growth seems to be killed off by aphids I find burrowing in the new buds!
    I've tried spraying the boxwoods last year but that proved ineffective and now this year Nanaimo has banned all pesticides so just wondering are there any other plants I could start nearby that would make a difference? Should I move the boxwoods?

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Hello....

There are midges you can get that will lay eggs in the aphids. They stay with the plant or tree, overwinter in the ground and emerge as a larger brood for next year. They can even get past the ever protecting ants to do their thing.

"Aphidaletes" sp. They work better than lady bugs. They are seasonal, so don't wait to enquire.

You can purchase a thousand in a packet for about 35 dollars. Ask at your garden store or

Call Evergro in Delta B.C. at 604-940-0290 ask for the Biological Department. They should be able to courier you some if you give them a credit card # over the phone.

oh ya, ten midges per tree is usually enough....so you'd have plenty to do your boxwoods.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
  3. coast

coast Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for your helpful advice - will look into it.

4. jenn p

jenn p Member

have you tried spraying them with mildly soapy water?
    sticky traps?
    i have heard that there is an organic insecticidal soap you can buy as well.
    i've also heard of other home remedy solutions -- cayenne spray, garlic spray, etc. but am unsure of their effectiveness.

i myself have had decent success with strong jets of water to wash the buggers off, but am unsure if your boxwoods may be too fragile for this kind of rough treatment . . .

good luck!!!