Aphid-resistant perennials

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Ivy, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Ivy

Ivy Member

Hi,
    I would like to plant some colourful, hardy, aphid-resistant perennials in two concrete planters. The planters have a southern exposure, but are partly shaded by some tall maples growing by the street. One planter has a dwarf willow already growing in it, and the other has a weeping birch, which seems to attract aphids. I would like plants that grow between 20 and 100cm tall. Does anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking of lupines, but I'm not sure if they will enjoy the light.
    Thanks, in advance.

2. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi Ivy
    Here are a few that I use around roses and fruit trees to discourage aphids: Asters, Nasturium, Petunia, Marigold,
    Allium, Garlic, Chives.

Try Google search for companion planting ( I know I am missing a bunch)

Regards Doug

3. Joan

Joan Active Member

I am not sure where you are located, but lupins are seem to be very prone to aphids in garden situations around Vancouver.
    I find very few perennials aphid prone. The problem, when it does occur, is easily dealt with by using a strong jet of water every few days after the aphids are sighted. This knocks off and kills the aphids while allowing the highly desirable beneficial ladybugs and their mini-alligator-like larval form a chance to climb back up and finish their good work!

4. gardenmistress2003

gardenmistress2003 Member

healthy plants usually pest-free

Hi Ivy,
    Most perennials are aphid-resistant if they are not stressed. Before you replant your containers, make sure the soil is good. If they have had plants in them for a long time, it is likely the soil needs replacing. Buy a good container blend of compost. The Answer makes a good one, but there are a number of them available. Make sure you research the plants you would like to use for light, temperature and moisture requirements. Plants that are healthy and stress-free are not going to be likely to attract insects such as Aphids or Spider mites. Also, don't be too generous with high nitrogen fertilizers, they tend to produce just the nice soft, tender new growth that Aphids love.
    I install a lot of container gardens and find that the only time Aphids are a problem is if the containers don't get the right amount of light, water or nutrients.
    Happy planting!
    Deborah

5. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

Everytime I have grown nasturiums, they have attracted great colonies of black aphids. I heard they attract aphids, at least that has been my experience.

6. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

How about lavenders, rosemary, and rock roses, they can handle the situation that your looking to put them in they would be fine, (aphids don't like them),
    Carol Ja

7. Candy

Candy Active Member

In my shady flowerbed, aphids absolutely destroyed my petunias and nasturtiums (even though I did a lot of hand picking, spraying, Safer soap).

8. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi
    It maybe late to mention this but
    How is the ant sittuation/ as they will harvest the aphids and actually move them from plant to plant /including picking up the sprayed off ones and moveing them to a different plant (area in your garden).

I have seen ants 40 to 60 feet up a tree harvesting the aphid excreamate ( sorry poop)

Redards Doug

9. zzlover

zzlover Member

Everytime I plant petunias and nasturiums, I end up with aphids for some reason. Black aphids on the nasturiums. I can't hose them off because I'm on a 4th floor balcony. I just use soap and water and squirt them off. Aphids drive me crazy because they're hard to get rid of. Has anyone ever had aphids on geraniums?

10. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

I have a giant canna in a pot on my balcony. The aphids don't like it. And it seems to grow well in a pot. It's not an evergreen but comes up every year; unless we have a very cold winter. Here's a pic.

Attached Files: