Any idea what maple species this is?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Apr 19, 2018.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It's probably from the batch of seeds I received from the Maple society seed exchange, but I forgot to lable it, and it's the only one of the kind I have.

It develops very fast: it's in a 9 cm round plastic pot, and is already over 60 cm tall in its second year.

The branches are dark red, the base of the trunk is beginning to turn a dull grey.

All the leaves have 5 leaflets and the internodes are quite long, especially for a tree kept in a small pot. The colours are about what they look like in real life, but they're a bit darker, with red-bronze hues on the edges.

The leaves are drooping a bit, but it's because I haven't watered it for a couple of days, and today April 19th broke a record, it was the hottest day since 1948!

Any idea what species it is?

acer-semis16_a_180419a.jpg acer-semis16_a_180419b.jpg

2. AlainK

Answering my own message: I think it could be Acer campbellii ss. sinense.

From what i've read, the leaves are supposed to be larger, but it's only 2 yrs old (sown in 2016) and developping quickly: it's already over 60 cm tall.

tiko7 likes this.
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It could be subsp sinense, does it leaf out with dark leaves? Possibly a hybrid, of course, sinense and palmatum love to "get together" ;)

4. AlainK

Yes it does.

5. emery

Well that's a sign, certainly. Here is a subsp sinense, though one with very large leaves. You will see one with smaller leaves in the lower left of the picture. I have 'Rogow', the cultivar from Poland, but don't have a picture. Is this from MS seed?

Attached Files:

6. AlainK

It must be, yes, for the other seeds I have come from trees around where I live and most of them are the kind of maple you often find in some "side of the road plantings" like A. p. atropurpureum and various dissectums.

One of my favourite "spot" a couple of years ago was "rue des Jonquilles, Saran". Some of the seeds I gathered there germinated, the 2 or 3 that had dissected leaves were very weak and didn't survive the first winter, others more or less reverted to the plain species:
    Google Maps

7. emery

Here's 'Rogow', a "sort of" cultivar as far as I can tell. The arboretum of Rogow sells hardy seedlings, one of them has been grafted on and given this name, but it's almost pre-diluted if you like... Anyway it is a pretty plant.

Attached Files: