Any hope for a leafless Magnolia x soulangiana?

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by kktoronto, Jun 16, 2014.

1. kktoronto

kktoronto New Member

Our huge, beautiful tree in our backyard in West Toronto by the lakeshore, developed buds in late April, but dropped most of them in early May after some serious cold in the spring. Since then we are both leafless and flowerless - now mid June. I noticed another of the same tree in the neighbourhood is in the same situation, though it's about 1/5th the size.

The tree is about 25' high and I'd guess to be between 40-50 years old. Can they die suddenly like this, or is this more likely some kind of dormancy? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Doesn't sound good, but I'd leave it another month before you can definitely call it dead.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

A nice previously healthy-looking maple street tree outside my building budded up this spring and then up and died. The Parks Board arborist said there was no obvious reason. It does seem to happen.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The maple may have Bacterial Blight, deciduous magnolias are prone to this also. But if two long-established magnolias in the same northern location both failed to leaf out the same spring it was probably the cold winter. Any coming back from new sprouts lower down that may occur might not be seen for awhile yet, but if no re-growth appears this same summer then your tree is probably a goner.

5. kktoronto

kktoronto New Member

Thanks very much for these replies. Still no leaves; the other tree in the neighbourhood has a few suckers with some scraggly leaves now, but not much to speak of.