Another unknown happenings

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Gravy_Guy, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Gravy_Guy

Gravy_Guy New Member

I have this one cactus E. Calochlora maybe, it has so many pups but its top part don't look like connected from its bottom part and also the top part looks far off from its matured pups..

I bought this one looking like this so I didn't knew why is it like that

Another is one of my cacti, I still don't know what is it classification. It looks etoilated but I don't think so because the other doesn't looks etoilated

Attached Files:

2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

The central stem of the first plant has stopped growing from the original apex (probably after some damage to the growing point), and has then formed an offset close to the top and continues to grow from this new stem. This happens quite often.

The second one is a 'Fairy Castle', a form of some Cereus species that branches a lot. Yes, it shows early signs of etioliation.

3. Gravy_Guy

Gravy_Guy New Member

So the first one is okay? Idon't think the second one is a fairy castle, I have a fairy castle and doesn't look the same.. What should I do with it? I know that it's getting as much sun as possible because only selected of it's kind looks etoilated.

4. mandarin

Yes, the first looks fine.
    I am not very familiar with the cereoids, but the second one surely looks like a 'Fairy castle' to me. Do you have a picture of your "real" one?
    If you are sure that it gets enough light it could perhaps be something wrong with the roots, even if the symptoms are untypical.

5. Gravy_Guy

Gravy_Guy New Member

This is what my fairy castle cactus looks like (not my own pic though). what should I look out about the roots?

Attached Files:

6. mandarin

And what is the difference between that one and the Fairy Castle in the first post? They look very similar as far as I can see.
    The roots: check for pests, discolouration, and dead roots. If the roots looks fine, then it is not much to do except leaving it and see how it develops.

7. Gravy_Guy

Gravy_Guy New Member

The first one is more circular (supposedly) stouter in diameter compared to this one and it does not branch that much.. My father gave me this when he saw a wild cactus growing in their province.. maybe it a native cactus here in the philippines that's why you're not much familiar with it.. Or maybe it was a wild fairy castle cactus that's why it's wide.. Or could it be lacking of water..what do you think sir mandarin?

8. mandarin

It may need more time before it starts to branch. Or it could be a non-branching close relative. There are no (known) cacti native to the Philippines, with one exception they are only found in the Americas, but they have been spread by humans to many parts of the world. 'Fairy castle' has not been found in the wild, it is most likely a mutated cultivar.
    Lack of water? Unlikely, but I cannot rule it out completely. Water deficiency usually results in wrinkles and inhibited growth.

9. Gravy_Guy

Gravy_Guy New Member

Oh I see maybe it is a non-branching variety thank you sir mandarin i guess i'll provide it more sun exposure