Annual Garden

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by goatz, Nov 23, 2009.

1. goatz

goatz Member

Does any one have a self sustaining annual garden/forest garden? I want to design a garden that takes very little maintainence. Fruit and vegetable trees vines bushes and roots. I live in north central WV and am in zone 5a. I would like to do this on about 1-1.5 acres. Plants that help keep out both animal and insect pests would be nice. Also information on plants that should and should not be planted next to each other. We have had a few dry years here also so I would like to take that into account. Any suggestions???

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

read up on xeriscape plantings, so much to choose from!

3. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

I assume you have plenty of whitetail deer?

Soil determines a lot of what's practical. Acid would turn you toward blueberries, azaleas, rhododendrons, etc. Basic would bring in columbines and lots of other things. Like fringe trees and redbuds. Maybe a rock garden?

Again depending on soil, there's lots of possibilities for perennials, including native species. Your region has a wonderful flora; not quite as wonderful as places in China with similar climates, but neat nevertheless.

West Virginia Native Plant Society: http://www.wvnps.org/

4. goatz

goatz Member

Thanks for the great info.

5. GreenElephant

GreenElephant Active Member