Amorphophallus???

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by westgatea, Jun 25, 2003.

1. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

I have a very peculiar looking plant, passed on by a neighbour. About 2 ft tall, long, mushy stem of green with black spots (we call it the "leopard plant") , topped by a three cornered set of green, arrow-shaped leaves. It doesn't seem to do much, doesn't flower, and seems to like shade. I think it may be something called "AMORPHOPHALLUS" but my books give no information at all. Any ideas? And what should I do with it - will it grow bigger? Do I want to keep it? etc. etc.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

This is an instance where a photograph would be helpful. However, it does sound like an aroid, so one thing you could do is visit the International Aroid Society web site and browse through their plant photograph galleries, although that would be somewhat time-consuming since they have so many photographs.

For an interesting discussion on a different aroid, read this thread. Be sure to see the recommendation regarding a book on aroids at the end of that thread.

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years