Alternatives to Liquidambar Tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by junepo, Jan 7, 2013.

1. junepo

junepo Member

I am reading this thread about Liquid Amber trees with interest. We were actually just about ready to plant two of these in my (very small) front yard (to book-end our house) because we like the look and - they were recommended by our landscaper. But, after reading these posts, now I am getting cold feet about planting this tree in that area. Oddly enough, we were planting these in place of bamboo trees which we are about to remove because they are invasive and have raised the sidewalk, So, it sounds like if we planted the amber trees, we'd be going out of the proverbial frying pan and into the fire - so now for my question: What shoud we plant INSTEAD of the pretty liquid amber tree?? We need a tree that is as pretty as this one but that DOES NOT have large invasive and traveling roots....what would that be? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Ensete 'Maurelii' is the one that comes to mind. It would love your climate, has a very limited root system, and is absolutely non-invasive. Plus they're very pretty, or at least, I think they are. Certainly they're much more unusual than most plantings, and will lend a really tropical look to your front yard. Ensete are also glorioiusly low-maintenance.

If you want a more "traditional" looking tree, consider a Jacaranda, or maybe an Esperanza (Tacoma stans). Neither have roots that are terribly profound or invasive, and both are quite pretty, particularly in spring/summer, when the flowers blanket their canopies. The Jacaranda is also fragrant. Other than that, maybe Erythrina cresto-galli?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Note it's Tecoma and not Tacoma.

Would that Tacoma looked as good.

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years