Identification: Aloe Identification

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Dreamwild, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Dreamwild

Dreamwild Member

I have had these aloe plants for years and have been trying to identify them to no avail. The color is a medium green and their are clear thorns outlining the leaf edges and some smaller thorns on the underside of the leaves. The plants grow tall and are constantly growing little baby plants up from the roots. I haven't had any of them flower yet and I'm assuming its because they are not old enough.
    These aloes look similar to: Aloe arborescens, Aloe kedongensis, Aloe scorpioides,
    Aloe tugenensis, and Aloe mutabilis but I noticed some differences. I would be very thankful if anyone could help!
    Unkown Aloe.jpg

$10 unkown Aloe, quantity - 4.jpg

$8 Unkown Aloe, quantity - 3.jpg

2. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Could you please take a picture closer to the leaves? It looks alot like my aloe plant but I cant really see the leaves close up in your current pics.
    In case you want to look them up my type is Aloe vera v. chinensis just be careful there arent alot of accurate pics of them on the web. Also here are some pics of mine they are only a year or two old so they arent as tall as yours. They might not be the same type but they look alike. Im going to look up the types you think they might be because yours has alot less spots then mine and yours is growing alittle different then mine is. Here is a site that I use to ID some of my plants http://www.deserttropicals.com/

Attached Files:

3. Dreamwild

Dreamwild Member

here are some closer up pics of my unknown aloes.

I actually also have Aloe vera v. chinensis too.

Attached Files:

4. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Thanks. Ya I was right your aloes arent the same type as mine. Their leaves look alot alike on some of yours but yours are growing alot differently than mine are. I am going to scan through most of the www.deserttropicals.com aloe plants and see if they look like yours.

5. Dreamwild

Dreamwild Member

Thank you!!!

I attached pics of my Aloe vera v. chinensis for you to see. I separated them into their own little pots and put them outside during the warmer months, and they grew really fast that way. Now that some of them are getting bigger they are loosing their spots.

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

$3 Aloe Vera, quantity - 24.jpg

CIMG8308.jpg

6. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Great shots, and healthy plants... try to plant out of doors for the warmer months, mine tend to bloom in the spring...

7. Dreamwild

Dreamwild Member

Thank You!!

8. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Ya nice plants. So yours just looked like mine until they lost their spots and grew bigger. Its nice to know what mine will look like when they are older. Do you have any tips on growing them? Mine have a couple leaves that droop over but then the rest of the plant is healthy. Its nice to know that we finnaly found out what they are. Good luck growing them.

9. Dreamwild

Dreamwild Member

Well, I have found out that aloe grows bigger faster when it is: 1. put outside during the warm months and given lots of sun, 2. separated and planted individually, 3. planted in small pots, and 4. fertilized and watered correctly.

If you move your plant from its location into a sunnier spot, get it gradually used to more sun or it will turn brown, which just means that it got a lot of sun too fast, or it was more sun than that plant was previously used to, thus it got sun burnt. If you then leave the plant in the shade for a few days after that it will turn green again pretty quick.
    Here are more things I found out: When you leave all the little aloe offsets in the same pot as the mother plant they will sap nutrients from her and slow her growth. So it is best to separate them into individual pots. When you pot them give them small pots so that the roots will quickly become root bound. Aloes actually seem to thrive better and grow faster when they are aloud to get root bound. The reasons for this (that I know of) is that the aloe doesn't have to put as much energy into growing roots to spread through the pot and it will also use up the water much faster in a smaller pot which is good because it is less likely to get root rot. It is also good to replace the old soil in the pot once a year.
    If you would like I could email you much more information on aloes but I don't have time at the moment.
    I have been growing and selling aloe plants since I was 10 years old and I did a study on their care and use.

Just so you are not confused, I have 2 different types of aloes that I have been talking about in previous messages. All the ones in my first pictures are my unidentified aloes and the ones in the most recent pics I posted are my Aloe vera v. chinensis.

10. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

O ok thanks for the info. I will just slowly move it outside like you said with my sago palm, madagascar palm, and new desert rose seeds. So the aloes on your first post are the ones needing IDed I have another place to search for them but it isnt loading today so I will let you know if I find anything.