All not green in st lucia!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by SWhite3726, Jul 1, 2009.

1. SWhite3726

SWhite3726 Member

Further advice needed please, as you may or may not know I am a novice to 'tropical' gardening, but did manage it fairly well in chilly UK! Problems are afoot though, I have discovered bugs in my soil. I just finished off an area with the last of the lettuce and am busy turning it over and fertilising it ready for some spuds, but keep finding semi transparent white bugs with brown heads. Like a caterpillar but underground! What are they, what are they going to eat and can I get rid of them by planting things they wont like or is it a case for pesticides? Also any tips for planting things around the spuds so they dont get potato blight or is that a UK thing? Thanks to all who takes the time to read this and help.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Cutworms, ugh! They're going to eat anything you plant. Personally, I'd soap the entire garden (basically, make sudsy water and saturate the soils with that) and then rinse it with water before planting anything. You don't have to worry about potato blight too much, though - more about potato beetles, which are easy to spot and remove if you do get them.

3. SWhite3726

SWhite3726 Member

Thanks Dude, what would I do without you! It is certainly making my life that little bit easier. Every day a new challenge, a new bug, a new vegetable!