All about an Elephant Ear (Colocasia Esculentum)

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Durgan, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Dampen it once and forget it. The roots will form and then the tops buds will start. Heat is important. About six weeks the top shoots should start emerging. My limited experience.

2. Stevil

Stevil Member

Here's my Colocasia esculenta "Black Taro" - purchased in New Zealand many years ago (is this the same as Black Magic?), I grow it in a large pot which is overwintered in our living room. It has also flowered a couple of times - beautiful contrast between the flowers and dark leaves (see picture). In the summer I move it out into the garden. It seems quite happy even though our summers are cool (mean temperaturte around 16C).

I also grow Tarua (Xanthosoma spp.) in the same way (tuber purchased in a greengrocers in New Zealand).

Attached Files:

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Interesting spathe, but different than the ones I'm going. As botanist Alistair Hay from Australia explained, this is one of the most variable of all species and produces in inflorescence that can vary in color and shape as well as differing leaf blades.

4. mommum

mommum Member

Stevil... That is just lovely!
    Just love the contrast on it. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Bea

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

From my experience "Black Magic" has black leaves. This one has green leaves, like the one I have in my garden at the moment, but mine has not produced a spathe or spadix yet, so I will keep my eye out, now.

Ed

6. photopro

7. edleigh7

Yeah I understand that it is very variable, but are you saying that the cultivar "black magic" is variable also???

Ed

8. photopro

Yes. On my page you will see plants that are of the Black Magic cultivar that range from green to black to blue. The new leaves almost always emerge green but depending on soil conditions and light can produce other colors. As best as I can research, the blue effect is caused by a condition relating to the soil pH. I explain it, but not in detail, in the article.

9. edleigh7

No wories mate, thanks for clearing that up...

Ed

10. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

11. Where in Ontario can one purchase these plants? ether personal shopping or online.

My thanks in advance for any input.

Durgan, I'm very new to gardening and truly enjoyed viewing your garden, thank you so much for sharing.

12. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I bought the large bulb at Holland Park Greenouse Supply in Burlington. They are available in the early Spring (April) season. I have seen various types in other greenhouse stores.

13. Many thanks Durgan, I saw these wonderful plants at the Oshawa Botanical Gardens on the weekend and fell in love. I think the ones they have planted are called Black Magic although not certain, but stunning is an understatement in my opinion for these plants.

I came across this site after doing a search on the plants and found your original post plus loads of great info on about everything to do with gardening, which for a newbie is wonderful.

Again my thanks Durgan I have copied your post on where to buy and between now and spring will do loads of research.

PJ