Ailing Phalaenopsis

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by vivve, May 13, 2009.

1. vivve

vivve Member

Hi everyone,

I have an ailing Phal, that up until a month ago seemed to have been thriving and very healthy. About one week after it finished blooming, I noticed the two bottom leaves were drooping a little, but wasn't sure if my orchid was just getting ready to shed those leaves. A week later, I noticed tiny bugs in the medium and the bottom of the pot - which I later found out were actually scavenger bugs. I decided to repot my orchid - mainly because of the bugs, and also because my orchid had never been repotted (it had been a gift from my boyfriend).

When I eased it out of its pot, I quickly realized that the spaghnum it was in was probably choking the poor thing. It came out rock-hard, almost like a brick, it was packed so tightly, and was very hard to loosen up for me to get to the roots. (I threw all the old bug-infested medium out.) There was a lot of root rot that I cut away. In the end, there was still substantial healthy root growth, but what stunned me was that unfortunately, all of the remaining healthy roots were actually rotting where they attached to the main stem, as well as at most of the joints where they branched off. The main stem itself, where the roots were attached, was black. Completely black. I was very worried - I didn't think I should or even could cut off the black stem - and called a local "orchid doctor" right away and sent her photos of the rot, calling attention to the black stem. (If I can figure out how to post pictures here, I'll attach one.)

She told me not to cut away any more roots, that I had nothing to worry about, it was healthy, and that I should just repot it as it was. So, I dusted the roots with cinnamon and tumeric and repotted it. I had already presoaked new spaghnum overnight according to the instructions the "orchid doctor" had given me, and repotted it in that. I didn't water the orchid for a day or two, letting it rest, and watered it soon after.

But over the next 2 weeks, its condition did not improve, in fact more leaves started to droop ever so slightly. I felt concerned and eased the orchid back out from the pot and to my horror, all but 1 of the roots were rotted, and that one remaining root already had a mushy dark spot on it, where it was touching a rotting root. I cut off all the rotting roots and left the lone root and repotted it into a new orchid mix this time: fir bark, charcoal, perlite mix. I left it for another week.

That brings us to the present, where earlier this evening. The leaves were drooping even further, so I removed the orchid from the medium again, and the last root is also rotting further. I'm horrified - I had managed to revive this plant from a terrible bout of leaf rot it had had from the store previously and have grown quite attached to it. Like we survived something together, or something. I'd hate to see it go.

I'm not sure what else I can do. I left the remainder of the one root for now - scared to cut it off. I noticed there are 3 new root nubs higher up, at the base of the orchid, but they don't appear to be in active growth (the tips aren't showing clearly, seem covered with that root skin). I'm further concerned because the root nub tips look a little speckle/black because they were previously growing out into the orchid leaf, and I'm not sure if the leaf had 1) kept it from growing faster and/or 2) trapped water and started rotting the root nub tips as well.

Anyway - that was a huge ramble, so thanks for listening. Does anyone know what I should do now, or if you think it can even be saved? I've spaghed and bagged the poor thing for the time being. I didn't want to put it back into the medium and quite frankly am at my wits end on what to do... I'm not ready to give up yet.

Attached are 3 pictures:
    1) The black stem from a month ago with lots of lovely healthy roots that were starting to rot at the juncture where they joined the main stem
    2 & 3) What it looks like now with its lonely rotting root - that I've dousted with cinnamon (maybe too much?) You can see the dark speckling on the root nubs.

Thank you in advance,

Vivian

Attached Files:

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I think you've done all you can in terms of removing dead roots and placing in fresh spagnum. Now how about the plants growing conditions, I think lots of bright indirect light, warmer temps and as much spraying and humidity as you can stand. Think of growing conditions in the Philippines. My household conditions are a little cool for Phals but they do grow and flower but I get my best root growth during warmer temps.

Shaun

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I would try spraying a fungicide on the remaining rot before planting into the fresh medium of bark and sphaghnum.... once dry then repot....

Careful not to spray the green leaves...

The future mold/rot should be minimal if the Phael. is watered only when dry between waterings...and remember to feed your baby too!

Here's a 5 year old reblooming with multiple stems and is located in the sw window....

Not the greatest shot, but you can see it is happy with lots of buds....

Attached Files:

4. vivve

vivve Member

Thank you for your replies, K Baron and Shaun! Luckily, the growing environment in my condo is great. It's south facing with lots of space for bright, but indirect light. The temperature usually stays around 75-80F (~25-28C) during the day, and 70F at night. I've left it in the bag for now.

I haven't cut the last of the root rot off because there is a portion of healthy root under the rotted part, and I'm worried about cutting off its last life-line, so to speak. I was told that I should actually be using sulphur powder for the roots, as cinnamon tends to be better for leaf rot. Does anyone know where I can get powder sulphur in Canada? Preferably in the Toronto region? Every pharmacy I ask gives me the wierd eye and says it's not for sale - even when I explain about the orchid. I can't seem to find it at any specialty orchid stores.

Thank you again!

Vivian

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Try Fischer Scientific, Vivve, or one of the other chemical supply houses. They won't even give you the wonky eye.

6. vivve

vivve Member

Hi Lorax,

Thank you for the tip! I just checked out Fisher Scientific, but they must retail by the cubic tonne, because it's $140/ea! I'll check with some of the other manufacturers. Seems to be far easier to get in the US.

Thank you!

Vivian

7. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I got mine at Can. Tire -Green Earth (brand) Garden Sulphur

Shaun