African Soil

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Olive82, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Olive82

Olive82 Member

Hello all!

I have a question regarding African (South African soil). When I was at the botanical garden couple of days ago, there was a sign saying that at the gardens, the soil was somehow recreated so that the plants could grow in a similar environment as their native.
    Unfortunately, I didn't write anything from the sign down and I wish to know more now...can anyone help?

Thank you!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think you are recalling this sign from the E.H. Lohbrunner Alpine Garden that includes information on the construction of the garden.

The garden does not use African soil, but rather British Columbian rock. For the most part, I'd say it hasn't made much difference to the African plants - the African section of the Alpine Garden is perhaps the most showy.

3. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

In order for African plants to survive in this climate, they require well drained soil. This can be achieved by placing the plants on a hill or in raised beds. They also require moderate fertility. This is how we keep our African plants looking so nice in the garden.