Advice wanted: Good Climber for Shady Area

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by SvenLittkowski, Nov 4, 2009.

1. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Active Member

Hi.

I have a large apartment, and quite a lot of good light (plenty energy-saving 140 W light bulbs). I also got already some metal mesh, and fixed it at a side of my apartment.

I am looking for some advice now. I want some plant names of plants which are fantastic climbers, and which is accepting shady areas (well, not so shady at all, since i can use plenty light). Is Passiflora suitable?

Thanks!

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

are you talking about it being outside with lights added since it's a covered porch or are you talking about for inside the house??

a lot of philodendron's are viney and they prefer to grow upwards and do well in shaded areas - and wouldn't need additional lighting. their 'flower's aren't all that showy, though, if that is something you're looking for. they can be grown inside or out - temps outside would rarely go down low enough for that to be an issue.

passiflora should probably be workable - not sure how well they'd do in containers (if inside), though.

3. SvenLittkowski

Passiflora sounds great! I know someone who has them, and the blossoms look very interesting.

I intend to grow them indoors, that"s why I mentioned the light I have.

Are there other good climbers, maybe with highly fragrancing blossoms or edible fruits for indoors?

4. joclyn

there are quite a few different varieties of passiflora - all have basically similar flowers. some are much more showy than others. most varieties produce edible fruit, as far as i know.

you can also do kiwifruit (also called china gooseberry). it's viney, has a white flower and produces edible fruit. you'd need male and female plants to get fruit, though.

not sure about bloom fragrance for those two...

wisteria has very fragrant blooms (no fruits though). i think bouganvilla also has fragrant flowers, no fruit.

you could do various clematis - very nice flowering vines. large variety of colors for the blooms - solids and variegated.

honeysuckle would also work well - very fragrant flowers. the berries are not edible for us - the birds can eat them, though.

jasmine is also extremely fragrant. i think they're bushes rather than vines, though.

5. SvenLittkowski

Wow! What a good advice! Thanks a lot, Joclyn! I think, I go for the passion fruit.

Are they self-pollinating or require a male and female plant, too? And are their blossoms fragrant?

6. joclyn

i'm not sure if passionfruit needs male and female plants for pollination or not. and i also don't know if the flowers are fragrant or not. sorry!!

it's on my 'want' list still, so, i don't have first-hand experience with it to be able to answer. i've also never even seen the flowers in person - only in pics and you can't smell them :)

it's an absolutely beautiful flower, though!

7. SvenLittkowski

True, they are beautiful as the juice of the fruit taste great!

I will research for "pollination passiflora" on the Internet to find out, how the things are with them.