Acer shirasawanum 'Johin'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by mjh1676, May 2, 2005.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Photos of a 2yr plant taken mid to late April 2005.

Attached Files:

2. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Photo taken 6/5/05

Attached Files:

3. mjh1676

Fall color photo: 11/10/05

The spring color is quite nice on this plant, but the summer and fall color have not been outstanding. Maybe others have got better fall color. This plant is very rigid in its growth--I am not sure if I like it or not.

MJH

Attached Files:

4. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Mike,

You mention that the summer color is not so great...does this plant behave similarly to Red Dawn. ie. does not hold it's red color well? And do you think that yellow was/is the predominant fall color for johnin?

5. mjh1676

Hi Robert,

I would say that Red Dawn holds its color better in adequate sun. As for Johin, after I have thought more about it, the plant behaves much like, if not identical to, Palmatifolium. The difference being that it starts out red. This plant has had some nitrogen late in the season, so the complete yellow fall color might be misleading, but I suspect it to change very little and maybe have some oranges come up like Palmatifolium. The two plants for me have had identical fall color.

MJH

6. mjh1676

Just a spring update. I still don't know what to think of the plant, but it is rigid in it growth habit.

Attached Files:

7. mjh1676

Results of the flowering.......5/8/06. The samaras are not to full size yet, but the effect is the same.

Attached Files:

8. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Hi MJH,

I grow a plant that is tagged 'Johin". And I have a A.S. 'Palmatifolium'. You mentioned in this thread the similarity between 'Johin' and 'Palmatifolium'. Do you find that the growth rate is similar? Also do you find that they are alike in being "very rigid in its growth"?

The 'Johin' I'm growing is not like the examples pictured. Wondering about its identity.

Thanks

9. Jalf

Jalf Active Member Maple Society

I'm very interested in this cultivar, but I'm wondering about the colors. In Vertrees' the pictures appears as though the leaves are more of a rusty red color rather than the more purple tones of these pictures. Is the picture in Vertrees' more correct?

10. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Jalf,

Sorry i don't have a pic. My plant must be wrong. It is not red at all mine looks a lot like A.S. 'Microphyllum'. Maybe it will change up this year but I've had it 2-3 years and it's been elegant, rigid, very slow and green.

It's a pretty easy one to locate for a good price so I might try another.

Gil

11. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here is the color in the first part of august. The color is very nice, its growth habit is not as popular.

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is Acer Shirasawanum ' Johin' the darkest of my Shirasawanum's. I was not sure about buying this cultivar, but after a couple of seasons in the ground in morning sun and full afternoon and evening shade it looks rather special IMO and I'm glad I did purchase it.
    I have attached Spring and Summer photos and you will see the lovely bronze colouring. Later in the Summer it does turn to a nice dark green with those hints of earlier bronze on the outer tips.
    I fully reccomend this cultivar.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

An update on my Johin, another Shirasawanum that has done very well after the very strong winds of the beginning of July 2020.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

One month on from my last posting, now August 9th 2020. Johin is doing very well IMO. Now completely green, but I am hoping for some good Autumn colours.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Well it's the last day of August 2020 and as we have had a lot of rain and cooler weather here in England over the past two weeks, all my maples are doing well for the time of year.
    The greens have become more intense on my Johin. If you love the emerald greens that I do in Summer, then this is one for you.
    It does have those lovely bronzes in the Spring also.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    Now my Johin is one of my Shirasawanum's that has held it's Summer colour really well, as can be seen in my photo. So a definate Autumn show is expected this year.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. But my Johin is holding it's greens still. One of only a few in my garden that is.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

24th September 2020 and Autumn has really hit home quickly. Cold nights and lots of rain already. But raindrops on colourful leaves is why Autumn is a favorite for so many of us Maple enthusiasts.
    Johin is just starting to turn now.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

11th October 2020 and I thought I would show my Johin as it is just turning with the yellows at the edges of the lobes. I think this is a pretty phase for this tree and arguably better than it's full Autumn colour.

Attached Files:

20. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello @Acerholic . . . it's hard not to be inspired by the numbers and variety of Acers you grow. If I'm not being presumptuous to ask, how large is your garden? I have quite a bit of space here but the growing conditions are not good for most anything, including maples. (Shallow, rocky soil; too much sun, watering challenges.) Still, I'm curious to find out how many I might aspire to acquire. :-)

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Acerholic

@Margot Good morning Margot, I don't have a big garden at all, I just arrange and prune to get the required sizes. It is surprising how many you can get in a small area. At last weeks Maple Society AGM a prominent member from the US said how he has 1200 maples in 2 acres.
    I have 160 maples in a 5th of an acre.
    That is the beauty of Japanese maples, you can have more than you think you can.
    My friend has over 400 cultivars in a smaller space than me, then there are others who keep them in pots and have massive collections.
    Shade is the most important thing to consider but this can be achieved by planting a larger non maple to give some shelter. There are some including Atropurpureum that do very nicely indeed in full sun and give wonderful colour from Spring to Autumn.

So if you want to grow a few, I say go for it. But perhaps consider large decorative pots.
    Thanks for your nice comments and good night. My shift now Lol.

Margot likes this.
  22. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Thank you @Acerholic. Your comments give me much food for thought - and inspiration! I agree that planting in pots is the way to go, not only for maples but also for other challenging plants so that I can be sure they get enough water.

Yes - your shift now . . . I often look at the time when sending or receiving and calculate what time it is in Hampshire. Good night!

23. Acerholic

24th October 2020 and my Johin is only just starting to turn. Very late this year. But thought I would share it to show that you can never guarantee anything in the maple world.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  24. Acerholic

31st October 2020 and my Johin is about to drop, so before they do here is how it looks today. The yellows are pretty to the end and add some needed brightness to my garden.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  25. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

My 2nd year grafted 'Johin'

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.