Acer tutcheri

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by emery, Sep 27, 2008.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I noticed we had no pictures of A. tutcheri. These are taken on 26/9 to show the beginnings of fall color, which is a very dark and attractive burgundy at least for now. You can see the regular deep olive green leaves on the interior. The distinctive red petioles are present throughout the season.

This tree is in its second full year here, and seems rustic and pretty tough, but it is still adapting. Last year it showed considerable chlorosis, so I can't yet say if it is coloring typically for the species.

It has the advantage of leafing out very late, last of all the maples here, so although we have had bad spring frosts for the 2 years its been planted, it hasn't been effected.

-E

Attached Files:

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

this is my tutcheri ,first year in my collection ,no more info about cultivation ,one first obsservation ,have more tollerance to hot wind,and want partial shade.

Attached Files:

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Interesting Alex, your plant has more jagged lobes than mine did, as well as what looks like stubby lower lobes. I'd be hard pressed to say they are the same plant.

Mine died in winter 2009 when we had -23C, (along with other less than fully hardy maples), and I have not yet managed to replace it.